First Duathlon/Race

Greer_
Greer_ Posts: 1,716
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
I will be entering for my first ever race this sunday - 2.5km run, 19km XC cycle, 2.5km run. Anyone have any tips for a newbie? Been riding for just over a year and thought this would be a good test to see where I stand. Will be using a bottle/bottle cage probably and will I need food? I can usually do a 35km XC ride with eating only before and after, not usually during unless I crash (not in the falling off sense). Also, is it the norm to bring a spare tube etc? as I would probably use a camelback if that's the case. Surely if you punctured your race would be over?

Any advice/help/tips will be greatly received! I'm pretty excited for it! :D

Thanks, Adam

Oh and it's in lady dixon if anyone knows of it.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Take it easy and pace yourself on the first run - don't know what it is about racing duathlons but people seem to think they are racing Mr. Bolt.

Always carry spares with you if you do get a puncture whilst your race might be over in terms of the time you post its a simple enough fix and if you able to finish you should at least try rather than give up, plus with all the adrenaline pumping through you you'd be surprised how quick you can make the change.

As for food my general rule of thumb is no to food if racing for less than 1 hour & eat properly before hand. If I'm racing for more then might throw a gel or 2 in my pocket. Plus just need to think if you are carrying water only or anything else such as an energy drink.

First thing is to enjoy yourself.

My only piece of additional advice would be;
    1 - when you rack your bike, do a quick walk through of the bike area from where you will come in and get an idea of some sort of landmark so you know where you going when you come in and also walk through the exit route too. I've seen a lot of people come into transition in a panic and not be able to find the bike or the way out.
    2 - practice your transition at home - I set my bike up just inside the door with the trainers ready on, go out for 5 minutes run round the block then in, trainers off and out on the bike for 5 minutes, back on trainers back on and out for a run. Try to do this a few times in row and it all becomes easier when your doing it in the race. Treat it like a dry run in the clothes your going to race in and good practice at getting your gear and helmet on/off.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Greer_
    Thanks very much! Very useful - good point about punctures, I would far rather finish than stop because of that. And I didn't think at all about the transition - will have to give it a few goes
  • how did you get on Greer? Many in the race? Was tempted, but my old back ain't so good for the running these days...
  • Greer_
    Came 33rd out of 66 :D the run was tough going at the end, but the cycling was just as easy on the fourth lap as it was on the first. There were a few muddy bits and it was pretty funny watching the triathletes slide and fall going through it. Was dead easy to spot the mountain bikers just flying through it :lol: I'd like to give it another go but only after a bit more training. Cramped up on the last running lap too :( but still managed to beat my girlfriends dad by four places :P Very good fun but I'm feeling it today!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Well done! I have been pondering some of these events - not entirely sure why as I really don't like running (love MTBing), but keep finding myself inexplicably drawn to it :?

If I find a local one I might be tempted to give it a go!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Greer_
    I'm still sore today! My left calve is agony after cramping during the race! But i'd definitely recommend it - was good fun even through the pain and I'd like to do it again :)