Paying for item with paypal

tombarton
tombarton Posts: 132
edited March 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm going to be buying some forks off the forum and was wondering about the safest way for me to pay. I realise the paypal 'gift' option is not safe but how much will I get charged on a £500 purchase if I mark the transaction as 'goods'? I have a verified account and half of the money already in my paypal balance if that makes a difference?

Comments

• davenice
    davenice Posts: 72
    Must admit I thought it was the *seller* who got charged. Whenever I buy stuff on ebay, it doesn't cost to use paypal. Whenever I sell stuff, it does.
  • DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Think the whole point of gifting on pay pal is the person sending the money pays the charge on top of the amount they are sending so the 'gift' is exactly that - the amount asked for.

Hence sellers on forums often ask for £100 by pay pal gift as they receive £100, the same as cash or cheque.
    Peter
  • tombarton
    It is the seller who gets charged but the in this case the seller is asking me to cover the costs or use the 'gift' function which I am reluctant to do.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you have money in your paypal account I don't think you get charged if send a gift.

But if you want to have some basic rights, do it as 'goods'.

If it is coming from your card via paypal, either way you will end up paying roughly the same.
  • PayPal will charge you 4% so it's worth paying those fees to cover yourself.

When you select pay for goods you can choose to pass the fees on to the seller or cover them yourself whilst maintaining buyer protection.
  • tombarton
    PayPal will charge you 4% so it's worth paying those fees to cover yourself.

When you select pay for goods you can choose to pass the fees on to the seller or cover them yourself whilst maintaining buyer protection.

Ok cheers. So I'm looking at £17 in fees then? And I don't need to send the seller the money for the fees I can do it from my end?
  • tombarton wrote:
    PayPal will charge you 4% so it's worth paying those fees to cover yourself.

Ok cheers. So I'm looking at £17 in fees then? And I don't need to send the seller the money for the fees I can do it from my end?

Exactly, the buy will recieve £500 but your account will be charged with £500 + 4%.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    The person who receives the money pays fees, not the payer. If you send someone £100 for goods £100 leaves your account. If you send £100 for a gift £100 leaves your account.
  • supersonic
    If you send £100 for a gift £100 leaves your account.

If you already have £100 in your account. Am sure that if Paypal has to draw funds from your bank to cover it, you get charged.
  • supersonic
    Ah, is debit card:

" PayPal is free when you use your bank account or PayPal balance.
    If you use your credit or debit card, there is a fee of 3.4% of the transaction amount plus 20p."
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    The person who receives the money pays fees, not the payer. If you send someone £100 for goods £100 leaves your account. If you send £100 for a gift £100 leaves your account.

Er no, the person sending the payment opts whether to pass the fees on or cover it themselves.