Looking to buy a new MTB this weekend!

Baldyman70
Baldyman70 Posts: 3
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi,
Just need some help. Got budget of £300'ish for a new MTB and looking to buy this weekend!

Narrowed it down to 2 possibles but I'm not entirley sure which one to go for...this is where I need your help.

Going to use it for commuting, out with the kids and on/off road for 2/3 times a week.

I know my budget isn't much but hey we're in a recession!

These are the..

Carrera Vengeance 2011/2012 - £299.99 from Halfords

Specialized Hardrock 2012 - £330.00

Grateful for any advice..thanks.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Vengeance - it is better in just every conceivable way.

Fork is a lot better, mechanical discs add value and an easy upgrade path, alloy bars - and the frame is decent too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Armed bike police - step away from the Lardrock.......the Carrera is a much better bike AND cheaper, noting the frames are made in the same factory as each other....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    Armed bike police - step away from the Lardrock.......the Carrera is a much better bike AND cheaper, noting the frames are made in the same factory as each other....

Simon
    you sir, are just a "carrera" fanboi :lol: , and as a "Hardrock" owner i have to say, i agree with all of the above, with the hardrock your just paying for the name specialized , the carrera is much better value, and that carries on across the entire range, imho
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Carrera definately!

As Chez said, you'd just be paying for the name if you went with the Specialized. It's really not anything special.
    Cannondale SL1 2012

'As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster' - Henry Hill
  • Thanks for the advice...so Carrera it is.

Managed to get a further 10% off, so now paying £270!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    chez_m356 wrote:
    you sir, are just a "carrera" fanboi :lol
    No, just believe in value, the only thing original Carrera on my MTB is the frame!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Bargain that, good work! (in my garage is an On One, a Cotic, an Ellsworth, a Haro, a Last, oh and a Voodoo and 2 Carreras :) Good honest bikes
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Did you get it Baldyman?
    Cannondale SL1 2012

'As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster' - Henry Hill
  • get the carrera like me ha its a great bike and glad you all approve of the vengence good to know i picked a good first bike
  • get the carrera like me ha its a great bike and glad you all approve of the vengence good to know i picked a good first bike
    i agree with boltonboxer please don't ask me why because my ride is carrera too :P
  • gingerbrew wrote:
    get the carrera like me ha its a great bike and glad you all approve of the vengence good to know i picked a good first bike
    i agree with boltonboxer please don't ask me why because my ride is carrera too :P
    Woop woop AMEN
  • gingerbrew wrote:
    get the carrera like me ha its a great bike and glad you all approve of the vengence good to know i picked a good first bike
    Woop woop AMEN
    :D we are carrera family LOL
    FYI: i saw my neighborhood just purchase diamondback maybe you are interest with that

good luck
  • If you get the Carerra and you don't know your way around a bike get it double checked by a mate or another lbs as the well known Carerra dealer aren't always very good at assembling them or completing pre delivery inspections. Not saying they all are but my recent experience didn't leave me with much confidence. tbh i lost faith in the carerra brand as the quality control and durability was very questionable on the 2 carrera vulcans i had and i'd rather go decathlon any day- shame as the bikes recieved very favourable reviews out on test