Bottom Bracket issue??

Ringo 68
Ringo 68 Posts: 441
edited May 2012 in Workshop
I have a 6 month old Boardman Comp which may have an issue with the bottom bracket, a FSA Mega Exo.

There seems to be a fair amount of resistance when I turn the crank and at the moment my rides do seem to be quite hard work, even short ones.

There seems to be more resitance than my other bikes including my daughters cheap MB.

Today I went out on my Hybrid for the first time in months and it just felt a lot easier and I came back from the ride feeling much better than I have recently on my road bike.

The Boardman has sat in the garage for 3 months over the winter period without being used.
Cube Agree GTC Pro
Boardman Comp
Carrera Subway Hybrid

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    External bearings? Yes ther don't spin much or at all.

If the BB faces are not parallel to each other and perpendicular to the axel axis that can make the situation worse and lead to early bearing failure.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    The MegaExo BB (if its the BB4000) doesnt last too well. I think i had 1200 miles out of mine before it started playing up. The ball bearing quality is poor.
    Easiest way to narrow it down is to remove the chain and spin the cranks. If its rough, replace.

Rather than replace like for like, i replaced the bearings in my shells with better quality ones. Trouble is, you need to fabricate (or buy) special tools to do it.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Sounds like it didn't like being stood for 3 months. I checked the rear wheel I took off at Christmas and I could hardly move the freehub. Replacement sounds like your best option.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    Thanks for the replys.

After doing a bit of research it turns out that the FSA Mega Exo has had lots of problems.

Any advice on a reasonably priced replacement?
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    throw it over my fence and get something better. :wink:
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    Thanks for the replys.

After doing a bit of research it turns out that the FSA Mega Exo has had lots of problems.

Any advice on a reasonably priced replacement?

As I remember Shimano 105 external bearings will fit.
  • Ringo 68 wrote:
    Thanks for the replys.

and most of the complaints relate to bearing life...mine (the left hand..side) have siezed solid..after only a couple of outings...no evidence seal wear either..
    My FSA cranks were part of the GotY prize..so I don't want to give up on them yet..
    anyone had any (good) experience of replacing the bearings?
    Oh and getting new crush washers for the crank/axle/bearing 'interface'?
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D
  • Flexisurfer
    Flexisurfer Posts: 249
    One of the chaps in my office purchased a Boardman only to have the BB replaced after a couple of weeks, the BB was devoid of any grease. Halfords replaced it under warranty, might be worth taking it back depending on how long you've owned it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I am in the process of carrying out a bearing replacement on a FSA BB. You can get replacement parts from UK Bike Store and there is a chart of spare part numbers and BB types at Chain Reaction Cycles, as part of the product photos for the FSA spare parts box.

Weirdly, my bearing had plenty of grease in it but the balls had corroded to the races; either the steel used is not suitable for bearing applications or FSA have a problem with water ingress at their plant. I plan on carefully removing the bearing seals and drying the bearing out with the aid of some silica gel, then applying a reasonable amount of grease to all the sliding surfaces.

The nip on the external seals seems a little light though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Hi y'all..
    well I've rung Midwave - the suppliers..
    and they've said..
    "go to the website fill in the returns/warranty notice send the whole unit back..and we'll send you another..."
    can't really say fairer than that can one...
    09 Genesis Altitude 20 (853)
    07 Ellsworth Moment.. 2016 transmission
    11 Genesis Croix de Fe (725)
    C20 Orrel 26" (531C)
    16 Dooooone (Calibre) Fatty
    07 Orbit 9531DB0
    WINNER 2011 WMB Gear of the Year..yes folks Mr Averages do win :D