105 6600 left hand shifter failure?

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited April 2012 in Workshop
Tootling along on the way to work today. I try to move up to the big ring and something just goes snap. Now the levers are all floppy. The shifter will still pull on the cable but it won't stick if that makes sense.

Can I do anything about it or is it time for the bin?

Comments

• kippy
    kippy Posts: 26
    Sounds like the lever return spring has gone in the front cover section buddy, you can get speres but sometimes if it has done many miles replacement is a better idea.

They are a bit of a pain to work on too.

Good luck!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Usual advice is that they are not designed to be repaired. :(

Is it 105 or Ultegra? 6600 is Ultegra
  • petemadoc
    105 5600 is it? Yeah whichever the last version was
  • skellator
    skellator Posts: 29
    thats a very common problem on l/h 105 5600 shifters, im afraid its knackered IMHO
    What goes up must come down wheeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
  • keef66
    +1 the 105 5600 LH shifters had a habit of breaking. Lots replaced under warranty. Are you likely to have a claim do you think??
  • keef66
    I recall it was the ones designed to operate a double or triple front mech, but they didn't always take kindly to being restricted to a double. Possibly a problem with setting them up.

My triple has been fine for 4 years. Touch wood, fingers crossed, hoping I don't live to regret saying that...
  • migrantwing
    migrantwing Posts: 385
    Get it replaced under warranty/Shimano return policy.
    Ghost Race 5000 (2011) Shimano 105 Black
    Carrera TDF (2007)

http://www.bike-discount.de/#

http://www.bike24.com/
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    It's knackered - chuck it in next door's garden and upgrade to Dura Ace in the current sales.
  • petemadoc
    Yossie wrote:
    It's knackered - chuck it in next door's garden and upgrade to Dura Ace in the current sales.

Sales? where?

Don't say the word upgrade, it costs me money :D

has anyone had any luck getting these things fixed or replaced when they're out of warranty?
  • Yossie
    CRC at the moment, Wiggle have a voucher out and about (£15 off a £100 basket when quoting UK15), I think Ribbble and Evans as well.

Either way, I think that Evans will price match if you source what you want elsewhere.

Remeber - if you don't spend it now on Dura Ace/Red/Super Record the burd will only spend it on dirty weekends with other men .......
  • petemadoc
    I was thinking of some ultegra shifters for the best bike and moving the 105 down to this bike

hmmmmmm
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    happened to me and i got it replaced under warranty as it is a known issue. Id had the bike about 18 months by that point
  • Yossie
    nah - stuff Ultegra - imho its arubbish half way house between D/A and 105 - 105 for everyday all year use (its bullet proof and cheap enough so that when you smash it up/scratch it you don't care) and Dura Ace for Sunday best when you have grafted your backside off all week in a rubbish job surrounded by tw4ts and you want to enjoy the snick snack ooh that's nice instant responsive change of a proper group set.

Do a bit of Googling, find some D/A cheap - last year's model tends to be dirt cheap with no major changes.

Fit the D/A to the godo bike, move Ultegra downwards.

But that's just me - some people love Ultegra - as I've said befiore, I was actually really happy when the Ultegra I was using in the everyday bike broke last summer.

Planet X are also starting to shift stuff out cheap as they have their annual stock take coming up - worth a gander.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    Yossie wrote:
    i wish i lived next to you. id build a bike from the spares :lol:
  • petemadoc
    Are there any known issues with the newer 5700 105 shifters

I'm not sure I have any faith in shimano anymore, may consider moving to the dark side.
  • keef66
    I think the 5700 comes in double or triple flavours so doesn't have the same problem as the dual purpose ones. Cables under the bar tape too! Somebody who knows what they are talking about please confirm.....
  • I had the front 105 shifter changed under warranty on my Bianchi - they actually swapped it for an Ultegra one as they didn't have any more 105's at that time so I have mismatched shifters. This was a well known fault at the time but i haven't seen any posts about the new 5700 series of shifters having the same issue.
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    You won't get a replacement if they are out of warrenty {2 years} and the 5600 is no longer available, and be careful with the new stuff as shimano has changed the front mech pull and the brake pull on the newer stuff.
  • mabbo
    mabbo Posts: 117
    Happened to my Giant Defy 1 after about 14 months. Giant have a two year warranty on everything, so it was replaced.
    Touch wood, not been a problem since.

Guess it depends on whom you bought off, and what the bike is.
  • Yossie
    There is one in the saleat Merlin at the mo' - cheap as. Still junk, but cheap junk. And you can't say fairer than that.