Powertap - Battery Carrier Corrosion

doyler78
doyler78 Posts: 1,951
Ok got this response by email from Paligap.
Dear Customer
Your PowerTap has been thoroughly inspected and tested in our service centre. We have found the issue to be the the battery carrier and the flex tab badly corroded.
To resolve the issue a replacement torque tube is required.
To protect your PowerTap hub against elements we're highly recommend to use a dielectical grease at the connector/battery area.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/contralube-770- ... 0&t=module
As your PowerTap is within the 1 year warranty period your PowerTap will be repaired free of charge. Please look out for an email confirming despatch to you, a signature will be required on delivery.

Great they have found the problem and sorted it however I only opened the battery cover to replace the batteries when the powertap torque offset was reporting rubbish again so if there is corrosion then it was caused either in the factory or water leaked in. In any case no point on labouring that point as I've gone over that numerous times.

The question that springs to my mind is why the torque tube would need replaced in order to resolve an issue with a corroded battery carrier and flex tab which to me would seem to mean the bit your pull out of the replace the batteries. Anybody got any pearls of wisdom?

I'm interested in the connector lubricant. I take it this goes on the actual connector itself? Is it ok to handle this when applying it or should it be done with lollipop stick or other such implement. Anybody else using this?

Very quick turnaround as the wheel only arrived back today so happy on that front.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Seems that no matter what's wrong with a hub, Paligap/Saris just replace the torque tube anyway!
    More problems but still living....
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    Probably the tab that attaches to the actual torque tube, rather than the actual battery carrier. When I was down there getting mine serviced they mentioned they can have a problem (though mine didn't), and to use the grease to stop any chance of water ingress.

You can use the grease with your hands, all it is is speacial grease for electronics.

My axle was severely corroded in place, it took a lot of hammering to get it out, yet the area where the battery sits was perfectly fine, though I did ensure the O ring was properly seated and the cover screwed on squarely every time I changed batteries. I use my PT in all weathers.
  • doyler78
    SBezza wrote:
    Probably the tab that attaches to the actual torque tube, rather than the actual battery carrier. When I was down there getting mine serviced they mentioned they can have a problem (though mine didn't), and to use the grease to stop any chance of water ingress.

You can use the grease with your hands, all it is is speacial grease for electronics.

My axle was severely corroded in place, it took a lot of hammering to get it out, yet the area where the battery sits was perfectly fine, though I did ensure the O ring was properly seated and the cover screwed on squarely every time I changed batteries. I use my PT in all weathers.

Thanks SBezza. Yeah I guess that would make sense however I though the tab and torque tube were at opposite ends so it must be internally connected if that's the case. I'll get the grease but whether I ever get to use it is another matter as I've only replaced batteries twice in over 2 years. I bought a 10 pack of them and still have most of them. My 5-6 hour weeks is part of that but the main reason is that it's nearly as often away as is with me now.

Interestingly I couldn't see any sign of water, which I was looking carefully for, when I opened up the battery cover so I'm guessing condensation was getting in somehow. Wheel posted back today so should be with my on Friday. Let's see how long it is before this goes back again.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    The torque tube as far as I am aware is the complete hub minus the battery holder, freehub, bearings and outer casing, I am pretty sure looking at a powertap broken down that you can't dismantle it any further than this.
  • doyler78
    SBezza wrote:
    The torque tube as far as I am aware is the complete hub minus the battery holder, freehub, bearings and outer casing, I am pretty sure looking at a powertap broken down that you can't dismantle it any further than this.

Then it's not a surprise that they keep having to replace torque tubes.