help with jumps please

craigw99
craigw99 Posts: 224
edited March 2012 in MTB beginners
im just getting back into MTB after a long break away,
when i took my old HT for a spin i can still jump it - eveything is fine but on my new FS its all wrong - either i pull up too much and end up on my arse or when i try not to lift as much the back end kicks up and i almost go over the bars!
whats going on?
opinions are worth exactly what you pay for them ;-)
2012 boardman team F/S tarting has begun..
1992 cannondale m1000 still going just

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't pull up for a start.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • craigw99
    so if i dont pull up should i go faster and keep my weight back and let the jump do its thing?
    on my HT i kind of bunny hop/ launch of jumps to get the height and distance so i feel in control of what im doing
    on the f/s i just donno if its my timing or im not used to 5" travel but if i dont lift, the front doesnt 'pop' of the jump but the back does hence the v heavy front wheel near over bars landings
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    craigw99 wrote:
    so if i dont pull up should i go faster and keep my weight back and let the jump do its thing?
    on my HT i kind of bunny hop/ launch of jumps to get the height and distance so i feel in control of what im doing
    on the f/s i just donno if its my timing or im not used to 5" travel but if i dont lift, the front doesnt 'pop' of the jump but the back does hence the v heavy front wheel near over bars landings
    Sounds like you might have the fork and shock set up poorly.
  • craigw99
    rear sits at 25% sag, the front im still playing with, im about 14.5 stone so the fronts at the top end of the fork chart- about 170 ish and the red bit at the bottoms 2 clicks clockwise from the bottom its a sektor if that helps. im slowly dropping the pressure to get better small bump sensitivity - im new to oil shocks so any advice welcome

edit after looking back at rockshox web page looks like i need much more rebound about 10 or so more clicks- im 203lbs :oops:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    craigw99 wrote:
    rear sits at 25% sag, the front im still playing with, im about 14.5 stone so the fronts at the top end of the fork chart- about 170 ish and the red bit at the bottoms 2 clicks clockwise from the bottom its a sektor if that helps. im slowly dropping the pressure to get better small bump sensitivity - im new to oil shocks so any advice welcome

edit after looking back at rockshox web page looks like i need much more rebound about 10 or so more clicks- im 203lbs :oops:
    Forget about the manual and web pages, just keep tweaking till it feel right. The back might be flying up and pushing the front down over jumps if the rear rebound is significantly different to the front rebound, or maybe you just aren't used to geometry or length of the bike.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Push the forks into the lip of the jump, don't pull, it takes time on a F/S but it will come.

Find a small tabletop to session and keep at it, go slower than you would normally stand tall as you approach the lip, push forks into the transition and then pull the back end up (boosting) do this to gain height until you can jump the F/S without the boost.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • craigw99
    many thanks for the tips, from what you guys have said my shocks need set up and i need to learn how to jump a f/s as it seems its a bit different to a ht - looks like i know what im doing this weekend - hope its dry!

thanks again ill let you knoe how i get on
  • craigw99 wrote:
    im just getting back into MTB after a long break away,
    when i took my old HT for a spin i can still jump it - eveything is fine but on my new FS its all wrong - either i pull up too much and end up on my ars* or when i try not to lift as much the back end kicks up and i almost go over the bars!
    whats going on?

If you find you self doing something i call a (stemma) When you lift the front wheel really high off jumps try and dab your back brake to bring the front wheel down and land both wheels at once. I would also work on the basics first ie your bunny hoping technique and check your rebound settings on your suspension, If you have the rear settings really fast this can cause you to nose drive off jumps.

Hope this helps

Cheers Adam @ www.thebikeschool.net
  • craigw99
    well i got to the local bmx track yesterday with the kids so got to practice jumping :D - after setting the sag proper on the forks and slowing the rebound of the rear its feeling much more stable on take off - im still getting it wrong sometimes, but ive noticed i need to compress more into the transition than i used to on my ht -it still messes with my mind to push down to go up more but when i did, it works so it's just a case of retraining the brain i guess!

many thanks for all the helpful tips from everyone.
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    craigw99 wrote:
    well i got to the local bmx track yesterday with the kids so got to practice jumping :D - after setting the sag proper on the forks and slowing the rebound of the rear its feeling much more stable on take off - im still getting it wrong sometimes, but ive noticed i need to compress more into the transition than i used to on my ht -it still messes with my mind to push down to go up more but when i did, it works so it's just a case of retraining the brain i guess!

many thanks for all the helpful tips from everyone.

Thats the key right their, just keep doing it and before long you won't even think about it :wink:
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    The set of pics towards the bottomof page 1 of this thread helped me - at least the handful of practice jumps I have tried since reading it have been much better.