Any tips for checking rim wear?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited March 2012 in Workshop
My rear rear Neutron rim looks quite worn and there is about a 1mm gap under a metal ruler edge. Are there any other ways of checking and how big can the gap be on light alu rims? They havent done that many miles but then they may not be the thickest of rims.
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    1 mm wear is significant, I suggest to change the rim... although with Campag wheels can be a bit of a journey...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Some wheels (Mavic I know for sure) have little dots drilled into them from new: when they wear equal with the rim then its time to throw them into next door's garden and buy some Obermayers IIIs.

Alternatively I go by eye - if they look jazzed and are all worn and ridgey and you don't trust them, then throw them in next door's garden and buy some Obermayer IIIs.

Otherwise, get all scientific on their arrrzes and get some vernier calipers out and measure the rim depth - in the handbook that you get with the wheels/do a Google search it'll tell you miminum wear widths.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    IME rim brake-tracks start taking-on a distinctly convex shape due to the pressure of the tyre bead distorting the rim. Likewise, if your braking starts to pulse and yet the rim runs true is a sure sign it's going to give-out soon - and time to check your dental insurance. Circumferential cracks appear too - you can do a DIY dye-penetrant test with a coloured marker and meths - wipe the pen around the rim and then try and wipe it off with solvent. The coloured ink will seep into cracks and will stay-put when wiped with a solvent.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    " if your braking starts to pulse and yet the rim runs true "

My son's Fiesta has started doing this. Sure enough the discs are below the minimum recc thickness!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    keef66 wrote:

My son's Fiesta has started doing this. Sure enough the discs are below the minimum recc thickness!

They could be well within the minimum thickness but warped. Just worth a thought.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,301
    keef66 wrote:

They are probably warped...
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They are almost certainly both. I'm shopping for new discs and pads.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    there is a third option, the wheel bearing might have gone/excessive play. if the hub can move the disc can too as its bolted to it beneath the wheel. this can cause warped discs as well.
    disc hot from braking, disc moves sideways and bends, disc cools down and sets warped.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Go down to steps 1) & 2)
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... nts-20934/

I wonder if anyone on this BR forum actually reads these BR articles ? :lol:
  • Alternatively buy a pair of jeweller's calipers for a fiver & measure the rim thickness direct. I always thought 0.9mm was the preferred minimum.
    -- "I am but a spoke in the wheel of life" -- Ghandi