Tiagra shifter not holding tension

jamsandwich
jamsandwich Posts: 13
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi all

My left (Shimano Tiagra) shifter wont hold the front derailleur in the big-ring position anymore -unless I keep the shifter pushed. Does this spell the end of this shifter?

Other details: It seems to register that you've pushed it as you cant push it again unless you click it down first. The front mech is Tiagra too and is setup correctly.

Thanks

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    First establish whether or not the ratchet in the shifter is working. To do this, release the cable clamp on the derailleur and pull on the cable to apply a little tension whilst operating the shifter through its range. If it correctly pulls and releases the cable then chances are high that the shifter is OK.

If it doesn't then check inside the shifter for frayed cables, general debris etc. Maybe flush it through with WD40. If there's nothing in there and cleaning it doesn't help, then chances are it's dead.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Thanks DesWeller for your suggestions, I un-clamped the cable and can confirm that it is indeed clean and running free but still does not hold the indexed point on the cable. The shifter will pull the cable but it just wont stay there. I think it's time to replace my shifter -unless there are any other suggestions / fixes?

Assuming it is dead. Does anyone know if I can replace the Tiagra shifter with a SRAM APEX shifter as I can get one off a mate for £30? (Its a Tiagra front mech).
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Front mechs are all the same AFAIK so the Apex derailleur should work.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}