how to go about cleaning your bike...

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited March 2012 in Road beginners
i didnt realise how grafted id got the bike after riding yesterday, its never been so bad! i did clean it about a week ago(took wheels off) but i feel i need to somehow get deeper on the clean, and what to do with the rings? i clean the chain but am worried about doing damage to the mechanics of things!
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    If it makes you feel better, this is my bike two weeks ago after the snow/ice/gritters smothered the road in crap in Feb. Yes, that bottle of Martini does need replenishing I hear you say.

IMG_1485-PS_s.jpg

To give it a proper clean it was chain/cassette/crank/jockey wheels/ bottom bracket off. Once you've taken it apart for the first time and reassembled you quickly realise there isn't anything to be afraid of. There are plenty of guides about but you'll need the right tools to take the crank/cassette/bottom bracket off, quick links to make chain cleaning a doddle and grease for re-assembly.

If you don't want to take it apart you can always get a good brush set that'll get at the hard to reach spots..
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    thank you that makes me feel better lol. what about cleaning the cassette etc? should i use certain materials/products?
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    Generic degreaser(no need to buy cycle specific stuff imo) and a stiff brush then lube the chain of course.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Hot soapy water is fine for a cassette, maybe some degreaser depending on whether its as bad as mine! I needed a spoon to dig out the mud.

Things like muc-off and chain degreaser do help.

Some tips here:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/w ... bike-18259
  • sagalout
    sagalout Posts: 338
    SDOC100 - its like witchcraft!.....expensive witchcraft though, but its the best cleaner I've ever used. Its actually a motorcyle cleaning product. The best thing about it is the lack of effort required. Its Gel based - just spray on, leave 10 mins and hose off. That will work for most bikes. , although the pic above might need a bit of agitation with a brush.

http://www.sdoc100.co.uk/