Convert Hope BB to SRAM GXP

killing-joker
killing-joker Posts: 4
edited March 2012 in Workshop
Hi
I have a very noisey SRAM Red GXP 68mm Ceramic BB and have read so many bad tales of failed SRAM BBs that I want to fit a Chris King or Hope BB rather than another SRAM BB (yes, I have narrowed the noise down to the BB).
I found something online elsewhere but have struggled to find information on where to find this converter.
Has anyone else tried this?
Is it a Truvativ converter that I'm after perhaps?
I saw on Chris King's site that there was a CK converter in the US but I suspect not much is available in the UK.

Thanks in advance.

Rgds
Rob

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Yes it is the Truvativ converter you need - i have a Hope Ceramic BB with my SRAM Force chainset. It presses in from each side on the non drive side bearing. Put a little notch in one of them though (mini file) so that you can tap the other out if you ever need to regrease or replace a bearing.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    +1

The Hopes can be modded to fit GXP cranks with the spacers, and CK BBs come with a shim for GXP cranks too. So both BBs can be made to work.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Wirral_paul
    Maddog - how do you run the spacers on your Hope BB with GXP cranks?
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I don't use the Hope BB any more, as I'm on a pressfit BB now but when I did I did exactly what you said.

One spacer each side of the nondriveside bearing, with the DIY notch in it so you can prise them out when you need to replace the bearings. The spacers basically reduce the internal diameter of the NDS bearing, from 24mm (the diameter of the crank axle) down to 22mm (I think).
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Wirral_paul
    Sorry - i meant the shims. I couldnt find anything about these and where to fit them and so set the chainline as best i could with what i had at my disposal (a steel rule).