Running a compact chainset but?

whojanicanackerov
whojanicanackerov Posts: 383
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
I`m running a compact chainset 34/50.
I want to move towards a 39/53 but I have a couple of option`s to consider and I`m calling on the experienced to share their Knowledge.
Option 1 Buy 39T/53T 110 bcd rings and fit to my compact chainset.
Option 2 buy new 39T/53T chainset and sell my compact.
Having 39T/53T on 110 bcd will give me a choice but I`m worried they mat be to soft bendy or even break?
Anyone?

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    You can pick up 39/53 c/sets cheaper than compacts, as most people want to move in the opposite direction to you, so you'll probably make a profit by swapping c/sets.

Keep an eye out for the 39/53 Dura Ace 7800 c/set. I've seen good condition ones for <100 and they are excellent.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Undoubtedly the cheapest option is just to replace the 34 with a 39 or 40. I always run a 40 on mine, no need for me for a compact, thats just what came on the bike i wanted.
    It depends how much you miss the 53...
    Stronglites are the most readily available option i guess. I run Stronglite Durals, the cheaper version, Zircals being better if you were concerned about running something larger than a 50 on a compact.

Otherwise, its a swap over to a conventional chainset as you say.
  • Thanks for that Centimani.I have gone for A 38/52T stronglight CT2 chain ring set.No more soft tapping them pedals.
    Time for some leg strength building hehe.Also gives me the option to swap em about on longer sportives etc.
    I have a bb30 Sram red chainset so Durace although its damn good would be no good for my full ceramic bb bearing fitment.Thanks all the same Maddog2