New chain issues

hulla the hulla
hulla the hulla Posts: 338
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Got a new Ultegra 10spd chain to go with my new wheels which have a new Ultegra cassette. The only thing that is not new are the front chain rings, they are my old 5600 compacts, only about 4000 miles old (I look after my chain well).
The issue is that the new chain keeps on unshipping itself to the outside of the big ring when shifting up. This never used to happen with my old 105 chain. I have changed nothing else, the chain is on the right way around. Why is this happening ? Is the Ultegra chain compatible with 105 compact chain rings or could I have done something else wrong ? Could the alignment be out on the crank (although why would it, it was fine before) ?

Confused and frustrated ! Ideas ?
A person who aims at nothing is sure to hit it

Canyon Aeroad 7.0 summer missile
Trek 2.1 winter hack

Comments

• flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Sounds like the FD needs minor adjustment, it's just pushing the chain too far over.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Could the new chain be slightly narrower ? If so there will be more of a gap between the chain and the outside edge of the cage so whilst your old chain would have been kept in the thinner chain will slip between.
    In any case as above just adjust your DR, I'd start with the limit.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    its simply too tight an angle. not built for it. go to a smaller ring and sprocket.
  • Yeah I thought that too. I'll have a little tweak and see if it helps. It's weird though, looking at it again it's like the chain is not slotting into the teeth of the chain ring, just sitting on top and then either dropping into position or skipping off. surely that's not right..?

Trek 2.1 winter hack
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    rake wrote:
    its simply too tight an angle. not built for it. go to a smaller ring and sprocket.

Eh?
    More problems but still living....
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I get this symptom if the front derailleur is not well aligned. Some chains are more prone to it than others IME.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    amaferanga wrote:
    rake wrote:

Eh?
    i posted in the wrong topic.
    sounds like the new chain and worn rings might be the problem. how long was the previous chain on.
  • rake wrote:
    how long was the previous chain on.
    about 4000 miles / year and a bit but as mentioned, I keep the chain in good condition and the chain was showing 0.75 on my Park tool chain wear checker so not totally lunched. The chain rings don't look horrendous but my next plan is to go to LBS and do a comparison and perhaps get an expert eye on things.

Trek 2.1 winter hack