Strange noise from jockey wheel

godders1
godders1 Posts: 750
edited February 2012 in Workshop
I'm setting up the gears on my newly built bike and have an issue with the jockey wheels on the rear mech. Mech is campag centaur 10s (used) and the chain is veloce ultra narrow 10s (brand new).

When the chain is on the bigger front ring and the biggest 3 or 4 cassette sprockets, the chain doesn't pass over the bottom jockey wheel correctly. As each chain roller passes through, every 2nd roller doesn't slot into the groove on the wheel properly and it makes a clicking noise. This makes for a very noisy drive chain.

I probably didn't explain too well so here's a vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYHpCncTfZE

I've shown the whole drivetrain at the end of the vid to show chain length. is this a bit short?

The other possible problem I can think of is that the jockey wheels are either worn or not suited to the newer narrow type of chain. I don't want to spend on new parts unnecessarily though.

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    You wouldn't normally run with the large chainring and large sprockets, add a link to the chain if you run that combo all the time.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    It shouldn't sound like that no matter what gear your in, the only thing that comes to mind at the moment is weather the mech hanger is slightly out of alighnment, look down from the top and crouch down and look at it from behind and make sure the rear mech looks straight, the jockey wheels don't look worn so it shouldn't be them.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    It looks like the gap between the links on the chain are bigger than the cogs on the jockey wheel. First thought is chain stretch. Second thought is you say it's a new build, have you got a 9 speed jockey wheel on ?
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Have you got the jockey wheels the right way round? They are top and bottom specific as well as front and back. I think UPPER is written on one of them and there are direction arrows. Also check the distance from jockey to cog and adjust as necessary using the screw at the bottom of the mech.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Chain pitch is the same from 1 speed to 11, so the suggestion of a 9 speed jockey wheel causing the problem doesn't make sense to me.

If it's silent and engages normally when using smaller sprockets / small chainring, that suggests that the chain might benefit from an extra link.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    keef66 wrote:
    Chain pitch is the same from 1 speed to 11, so the suggestion of a 9 speed jockey wheel causing the problem doesn't make sense to me.

If it's silent and engages normally when using smaller sprockets / small chainring, that suggests that the chain might benefit from an extra link.
    The suppliers do differentiate between 9 and 10 speed jockey wheels (although not sure what the difference is ).
    The chain does look tight in the video.
  • godders1
    I never run big/big in reality but as I said it's a problem on the bigger 3 or 4 cassette rings anyway.

The Campag 10 speed mechs are sold as working with 9 and 10 speed set ups (at least the Centaur mech I have is) so I'm unsure about the 9/10s jockey wheel thing.

I've had a nasty tummy bug the last couple of days but hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow and I'll get the bike back up in the stand and will check/try the things suggested.

Thanks guys
  • godders1
    Have you got the jockey wheels the right way round? They are top and bottom specific as well as front and back. I think UPPER is written on one of them and there are direction arrows. Also check the distance from jockey to cog and adjust as necessary using the screw at the bottom of the mech.
    We have a winner! The bottom wheel was on back to front. facepalm.gif
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo