Campagnolo Upgrade

bianchibob
bianchibob Posts: 306
edited February 2012 in Workshop
I am in the process of upgrading my Biachi 928 from 20 speed Veloce to 20 speed Record. Regarding rear derailleur can anyone explain how I can tell whether my present Veloce rear derailleur is a long or short cage.
Why the difference and what are the benefits of one over the other ?
At present I am using a Chorus 10 speed rear cassette, do I need to change to a Record cassette for maximum benefit, also would I need to upgrade the chain.
Front cogs and crank are FSA

Any comments would be most useful

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The mech will be short cage and is all you need for standard road bike gear ratios.

As for benefits of Record over Veloce - if you need to ask these questions, then there are no real practical benefits for changing to Record. The only benefits you will see is a nicer feel to the brake levers and more admiring glances.

Ditto the cassette - you are better off sticking to Veloce or Centaur cassettes unless you have money to burn.

There are far better ways you could upgrade your bike than going Record unlesss you have got a too good to miss deal on the Record (eg better wheels and tyres and possibly a Campag crankset though again, that's more about looks than function).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • baznav73
    baznav73 Posts: 111
    Short cage for double chainset, long for triple.
  • Measure the distance between the centre of the jockey wheels... in a short cage it should be something around 50-55 mm... a long one will be... longer
    left the forum March 2023
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    baznav73 wrote:

Where are these campag triple chainsets of which you speak???
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    keef66 wrote:
    baznav73 wrote:

Where are these campag triple chainsets of which you speak???

A bit on the old-school / tourist side:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/groupset/catid_8.jsp
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ooh, that's rather lovely!