Underground TT Racing: Liverpool

sonny73
sonny73 Posts: 2,203
edited February 2012 in Pro race
Sounds like an interesting race, some great pics in the gallery too: http://road.cc/content/news/52976-ten-minutes-hell-racing-underground-big-prizes
The toll booths of the Queensway Mersey road Tunnel were closed to cars on Sunday the 20th of February for a unique bike event,

Comments

• Nice. Sound must have been something cool in the tunnel. Big prizes!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • I can vouch for the fact that's a steep climb coming back out
  • It was stonking!!!!!! the noise was mega, I was running a HED disk and 808 front and the noise was immence!! it was also excellent knowing nothing was going to come up and try run you off the road, you build speed bloody quick too. Keeping it in a Pro Race stylee Alex Dowsett won and was quite a nice bloke actually!
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Cool event - something a bit different and the prizes sound way better than most UK races.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Nice prizes yes, but £25 entry fee -was originally going to be £100

As a once a year novelty yes, but a bit too steep for every weekend !
  • Pictures of the Ten Minutes of Hell time trial which went through the Mersey tunnel, cane found here:

http://www.sportpicturescymru.co.uk/ten ... l2012.html

Thanks
    Gwynfor :D
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Nice prizes yes, but £25 entry fee -was originally going to be £100

As a once a year novelty yes, but a bit too steep for every weekend !

Fair point, that's a lot for 10 minutes of suffering!
  • It was a great event, well organised, prizes were top draw!!! Though Dowsett took most of them, to his credit he was a nice down to earth lad with a sense of humour, as he signed my lads Team Sky jersey I asked him whether he could copy Cav's signature to which he had a little giggle. Definitely worth doing once a year for £25, presuming after all the success of this year there'll be even more big hitters/star names next time.
    "Cycling isn't a game, it's a sport. Tough, hard and unpitying, and it requires great sacrifices.
    One plays football, or tennis, or hockey. One doesn't play at Cycling."
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    What's this thing about prizes ?

Dowsett got the money, the fancy watch, etc and Julia Shaw will have bagged her share too.

Everyone else got....?

Personally, being mid-pack, I win b*gger-all anyway, so who cares whether it's decent prize money !!

In this case £25 is OK for a novelty event and pays for the closed tunnel

And I guess decent prizes encourages the likes of Dowsett to come along to compare ourselves against (although Ian Stannard turned-up at a J2/9 last year and whipped all our @rses)

But if it were a regular clubbie, personally I'd rather have it cheaper for me to enter than pay extra for super prizes for 'the usual suspects' to win...
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Oh no Michael Hutchinson has convinsed Dowsett to wear comedy length lower leg wear. The only consolation is Alex has not gone for the full Dr Hutch horror!! (Although arguably they have the same amount of leg showing)
    SPC_1970.JPG
    11141%7C000005621%7C8d53_Hutchinson-3-2nd-Men.jpg
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')