NMB (not many benny!)

Nick@D
Nick@D Posts: 73
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

i have many (2) queries :D

1: is it ok to clean chain with white spirit?

2: i have a shimano tiagra front mech & shifter, it moves up the ring ok, however when it comes to the lower ring i have to move the leaver a couple of times before it "fires" back down, is this correct?

Thanks Nick

Comments

• I always clean my cogs and chain with white spirit. The only problem is that it's not the most environmentally thing to use, and needs to be disposed of carefully. It is much cheaper than the proprietary stuff you can get that is specially "designed" for chain cleaning.
    Sorry no idea about the shifter issue.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • Nick@D
    Nick@D Posts: 73
    thanks knownothingbozo,

i normally drink mine :)
  • Nick@D wrote:
    Hi,

2: i have a shimano tiagra front mech & shifter, it moves up the ring ok, however when it comes to the lower ring i have to move the leaver a couple of times before it "fires" back down, is this correct?

Thanks Nick

Assuming the limit stops and clearnace of cage are set correctly - then my first checks would be:

If the problem is going from small to big (cable shortens to pull derailieur accross) - I would check the cable tension is high enough and the deraileur is free to move (i.e not gunged up!).

If the problem is going from smaller to bigger (cable releases allowing deraileur spring to pull the cage back towards the frame) then check the cable is running freely through outers etc all the way along it's route and that the spring is working ok.

HTH
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Nick@D wrote:
    Hi,

i have many (2) queries :D

1: is it ok to clean chain with white spirit?

Thanks Nick
    Probably the trim function always you to reduce chain rub