After ride maintaince

destroyer
destroyer Posts: 4
edited February 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

This is my first post, I'm relatively new to mountain biking and was curious to what level of maintaince you guys gave to your bikes after trail riding e.g cleaning, lubrication, checking nothing is loose ect.

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends.
    Dry and dusty - a clean and lube as required. Not very often.
    Wet and a bit muddy - a clean and lube as required - maybe every few rides.
    Seriously muddy - a clean and lube as required - maybe every ride or two.

Should check things before every ride, but I do all my own work so just when I feel the need. Nothing's ever fallen off.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    Dry and dusty - a clean and lube as required. Not very often.
    Wet and a bit muddy - a clean and lube as required - maybe every few rides.
    Seriously muddy - a clean and lube as required - maybe every ride or two.
    depends which bike, if the HT, as above, if the FS, if anything other than dry a full clean including tyres, but thats because it lives in the house
    cooldad wrote:

Should check things before every ride, but I do all my own work so just when I feel the need. Nothing's ever fallen off.
    apart from yourself :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Good point.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • jus71n
    jus71n Posts: 138
    I do a full clean & lube every few rides, or as soon as I get home if its a muddy one, could be OCD!
    S-Works Tarmac Disc Di2 2017 :shock:

Felt AR3 Di2 :) (6870 11spd upgrade) 2012 - Now gone.

Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra 2016
  • sandy771
    sandy771 Posts: 368
    So what comprises a full clean and lube. I hose all the mud off wash frame/seats/bars etc with soapy water, hose again and then lube the chain and wd40 (or what ever its called now) the front and rear mechs.

Anything else I should be doing?
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    Quick clean and some lube where needed if I get the chance. My bake has sat covered in mud untouched since its last outing over a month ago. I will be replacing most of the drivetrain before its next outing so I'm not losing sleep over it.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • sandy771 wrote:
    So what comprises a full clean and lube. I hose all the mud off wash frame/seats/bars etc with soapy water, hose again and then lube the chain and wd40 (or what ever its called now) the front and rear mechs.

Anything else I should be doing?
    Use wd 40 for cleaning only - its not lube its solvent, degreaser.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    edited February 2012
    After every ride unless I really can't be fucked! Hose the mud off, GT85 the chain, lube the bits that need lubing then it's off for a BIG fried brekkie :-)
  • I'm abit anal with mine to be honest. Gets a full wash and lube after every rude regardless of riding conditions. Chain degreased etc etc.
  • BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I`ve got one of those garden sprayers http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... JQBEPMCMAE
    and always spray the bike down after a ride when the mud is still wet and easy to come off. I transport my bike in the car so it keeps the interior a bit cleaner too :D