help, heel clipping the frame

mog812
mog812 Posts: 66
edited February 2012 in Workshop
hi all, I was wondering what the best solution might be for me...
I have clipless pedals (nothing special), and have tried adjusting the cleats on the shoe/s to suit me best, however, I am finding, that on the right side, my heel clips/knocks the frame (the little horizontal bit at the back)...

Is it just me, or do I need to make more adjustments; I have moved the cleat all the way over to... I think the left side (the inside of the foot), as logic tells me that would push the foot further right, away from the bike, but heel still clips...

any ideas, thoughts, links would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for your time.
Mog.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Sounds like you need to twist the heel out slightly to straighten your shoes up. Do you walk toes out btw??
  • It used to happen to me when i first went clipless, its mildly fustrating and annoying. I 'learned' myself not to do it, just be concious of your heel position for a while, then it seemed to become second nature.
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    If the cleat and pedal are set up correctly then concentrate on keeping your foot straight during the pedal stroke (as said on previous post). My shimano spd's seem to allow more movement than the look pedals on my road bike. What pedals have you got?
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    KentPhil wrote:
    If the cleat and pedal are set up correctly then concentrate on keeping your foot straight during the pedal stroke (as said on previous post). My shimano spd's seem to allow more movement than the look pedals on my road bike. What pedals have you got?

Bad idea if that's not your foot's natural position.

My heel comes very close, but doesn't touch the stays normally. I guess one option for the OP would be some spacers to put his feet further out or a frame with different shaped chainstays.
    More problems but still living....
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    My right heel clips my frame, size 11 shoes. Also wears the side off my overshoes, but rather that than having my foot at an angle it doesnt want to be.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    There are a lot of potential reasons - from larger size feet than the average to using mtb rather than racing shoes (sometimes there can be more "meat" around the heel.

I'd check that your crank isn't too close to the chainstay (measure each side - inside crank to chainstay - they should be about the same). There may be a way of moving the crank out a bit, depending on the type. Some people add a washer between the crank and the pedal (but not too thick as this would compromise the strength of the crank/pedal interface).

You certainly aren't alone, Ray Booty who was the first man ever to beat 4 hrs for a 100, used to file a flat on the chanstay of every new frame Raleigh gave him to stop his heel catching. I wouldn't do that on modern frame materials though!
  • mog812
    mog812 Posts: 66
    giropaul: interesting... think the shoes might be the mtb kind, perhaps changing for road shoe might help
    glad it's not just me then, makes me feel somewhat better.

Thanks to all for the help
    ^appreciated.

Mog.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I wouldn't advise trying to pedal in an unnatural position as it will likely create knee problems. Certainly a road shoe with a smaller heel cup is likely to give more clearance.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..