BB30 Bearings - I did it wrong!

hoohaar
hoohaar Posts: 42
edited February 2012 in Workshop
Hi,

Just building my own bike which has a BB30 bottom bracket. Due to my impatients I couldn't wait for the bearing press to arrive and had a great idea on how to make a homemade press.

Not such a great idea!

Now the bearings started going in at an angle which I didn't notice straight away and so they are now stuck in the bottom bracket. Tried banging them out and they won't budge, but it is a carbon frame and I don't want to damage it so can't bang too hard.

So what should I do now? I thinking that when the bearing press arrives I can use this and hopefully it will push the bearings in and straighten them up. Then remove and replace them. Would this work?

Cheers

Hoohaar

Comments

• sounds like you need a bearing extractor...
    left the forum March 2023
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    see Parktools for the correct way and then see what you can make up similar. or buy as above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    How are you trying to bang them out?

Do you have a BB30 bearing extractor tool, or are you just using a drift and a hammer?

I am only round the 25 at Lakeside if I can help at all. I have a FSA bearing extractor and also bearing adaptors... though I did make my own press - but it has done 3 BB30s fine so far.

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I have an FSA extractor tool which I am trying to bang them out with, but they don't budge. I a bit scared to give them a good whack incase I damage the bike.

So have ordered the Park tool (BBT303 the correct one?), and will see how I get on with that, otherwise I'll be round yours Brett. :)

Cheers
  • With no knowledge of the angle they've gone in at...i'd say do not try to press them in any further, its more likely to end in tears than getting them out.
    Once bearings have started to go in skewed, they never (or extremely rarely anyway ) straighten up and only damage the surrounding material more and more as they go further in.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I can't imagine how stuck you could have got them before noticing it had gone squint? It's most likely they're not as stuck as you think and you're just being too conservative when removing with the extractor tool. Is it a carbon frame with aluminium BB housing that the bearings press in to? I'd give it a relatively confident whack but not a brutish one. Say... enough to crack a nut, but not enough to turn the kernel into dust?
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Hoohaar wrote:
    I have an FSA extractor tool which I am trying to bang them out with, but they don't budge. I a bit scared to give them a good whack incase I damage the bike.

So have ordered the Park tool (BBT303 the correct one?), and will see how I get on with that, otherwise I'll be round yours Brett. :)

Cheers

So I understand that you need a LOT of right arm with the Park Tools, as you basically have to lever the bearings out with it. I think you also have to buy a press with the BBT303.

I have the FSA bearing adaptors (similar to the ones from Park) and then used a v large bolt from my local engineering suppliers. PM me if you need any help and I'll do my best to help - my experience has only come from doing it though!
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • Hi there.

You could come over to Hub and Spoke Harlow, a cycling based community interest company in Bush Fair, Harlow.

Bring in the frame on a Wed, Fri or Saturday and we can give you some advice and use our workshop tools. You can do the job yourself or let one of our Cytech mechanics do it.
  • Thanks Chris, I may pop in tomorrow if the tool I have ordered still hasn't arrived (getting impatient). I live just round the corner from Bush Fair, but hadn't heard of Hub and Spoke. Am having a look around the website now! :D
  • Success! I cancelled the Park tool as it just looks like I would just be banging the bearings again. After loads of searching I came across the Ice Toolz BB30 bearing puller (cheaper than the Park tool too), which as the name indications pulls the bearing out rather than bangs.

It came today and worked a treat, very easy too use and thoroughly recommended by me! :)

Thanks to all who offered there advise and help, now off to finish building my bike (new bearings are now in straight).