Wave or no wave

Road Red
Road Red Posts: 232
edited January 2012 in The bottom bracket
I was once again surprised by the number of cyclists I pass at the weekend who dont wave, nod or ackowledge other cyclists.

I was wondering is it due to a fear that ackowledgement would be taken as a sign of affection leading to;
(a) the other cyclist turning round, following you and rogering you senseless in a ditch at the first opportunity.
(b) the other cyclist following you home and moving in with you.
(c) the other cycist stalking you every weekend on your rides.

Or is it that we in the southeast just couldn't give a xxxx?

:?:

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I blame Wiggle.
  • http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gta ... other.html

Society is collapsing, long time Alfa driver and I wouldnt dream of saying hello to another Alfa driver anymore. Unless you are in a proper one.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Ever ridden round Richmond Park on a weekend afternoon?
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Lot of new blood coming into cycling these days and they are maybe only familiar with the sort of signals that car,van, lorry drivers use. Give them time, I passed three on Sunday that didn't acknowledge my hello but a lot more others did. :wink:
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You missed these options:

* Had h/phones in and was buried in Hawkwind's Space Ritual, failing to notice cyclist waving from over other side of road

* Has been out for 5 hours already and is cold & knacked to the point where the will to summon the necessary effort to wave just isn't there

* Has waved at 403 cyclists already today and has come to the conclusion that it's probably the same 15 or so going round on a loop.

I don't get this thing about waving. Give em the INR if they look like they're on a decent bike or have the right kit maybe, but waving like a loon at everybody who shares a view on transportation isn't top of my list of Things That Need To Happen on the bike. You might as well wave at people who come out of Waitrose because they're carrying the same bag as your shopping is in.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    I always wave, but alarmed at the no. who do not.

Wont stop me though.
  • b0dski
    b0dski Posts: 136
    Most in and around Essex and Suffolk don't seem to wave :?
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    thisthreadagain1.jpg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I like to shout a nice loud "morning!" - especially when coming up behind walkers facing the other way!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Although I generally wave or nod, I think I'm going to start shouting a big "F*ck You !!!" at people who wave, just to give them something to really moan about.
    :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    wave you miserable gits!
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Another FFS

go read the how to apply chamoix (sic) cream thread...

Just get on riding, youth, and fret not.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I smile & wave because I'm happy, because I'm riding! Even in the cold, in the rain and on my last legs, I'm happier than I am in the warm & dry typing this.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I only wave at people on steel bikes. Everyone else is a pansy.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    MattC59 wrote:
    Although I generally wave or nod, I think I'm going to start shouting a big "F*ck You !!!" at people who wave, just to give them something to really moan about.
    :roll:

Push them into a ditch and roger them, it's the only way they will learn.
  • B0DSKI wrote:
    Most in and around Essex and Suffolk don't seem to wave :?

I live in Essex and regularly ride in Suffolk, I'll wave when you pass me :D

I have noticed a lack of waves from fellow MG owners (real ones built before 1981) whilst in my MGB.
    2007 Trek 1.2
    2014 Genesis Equilibrium 20
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've noticed recently that when I wave at people in their VW Passat estates, they don't return my wave.
    Miserable c*nts !!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • CiB wrote:

* Had h/phones in and was buried in Hawkwind's Space Ritual, failing to notice cyclist waving from over other side of road

* Has been out for 5 hours already and is cold & knacked to the point where the will to summon the necessary effort to wave just isn't there

* Has waved at 403 cyclists already today and has come to the conclusion that it's probably the same 15 or so going round on a loop.

I don't get this thing about waving. Give em the INR if they look like they're on a decent bike or have the right kit maybe, but waving like a loon at everybody who shares a view on transportation isn't top of my list of Things That Need To Happen on the bike. You might as well wave at people who come out of Waitrose because they're carrying the same bag as your shopping is in.

Why am I not suprised you shop in Waitrose. :wink: I blame the tories. :lol:

That's just given me an idea for a new thread.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    CiB wrote:

Why am I not suprised you shop in Waitrose. :wink: I blame the tories. :lol:

That's just given me an idea for a new thread.

Who needs a wave, when a smug superior look is combined with that pale face someone has when they've realised they've spent twice as much on something as they should have.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    I was in the car yesterday (not waving) at all the cyclists that were out early at 0 degreesC.
    Without exception they all looked thoroughly miserable....I guess because their face muscles were frozen solid!

On reading this thread I thought to myself...do I look like that when I'm out? If so I wouldn't wave at myself either :D

BTW I tend to do the nod thing to cyclists going the opposite way and let on to ones I'm passing (yes it does happen occasionally), just to let them know I'm there of course :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    On a typical Sunday over here I will pass approximately 400,000 cyclists on a 2 hour ride. I wave at all of them, unless my hands are busy with a bottle, gear change, hanging on whilst going through a pothole, etc.

I've found that the more bumbling they are and the more ill-matched their kit, the more likely they are to wave back. The "amateur pros" are often too up themselves to wave at me as it's not pro to do it.....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    I wave and blow kisses at myself as I cycle past my reflection in every shop window. X
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I've decided to start carrying one of those big foam hands you see at American football games around to wave with: naturally I'll have another tucked away with only one digit upright to wave at those who don't wave back at Big Happy Hand Number One as it shall be known.

Although this may mean stopping and then turning around and chasing down people to wave Big Angry Hand Number Two at them so they actually see it, I view it as both sprint training and extra mileage.
  • Don't get me started on those miserable AA who don't salute me any more. :evil:
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    I was out on my big new bouncy bike and got a wave from a roadie coming in the other direction, I almost fell off my bike! :-) shared pain of the cold no doubt...