Campag on off the shelf bikes

mamiljock
mamiljock Posts: 69
edited February 2012 in Road buying advice
Looking for a new carbon bike under £2k with comfort in mind - liked the look of the Trek 3.5 recently reviewed in Cycling Plus but like - it seems - most of the bikes available now are shimano and I'm a campag man. Is it just me or is Campag becoming very hard to find on off the shelf bikes? Also do shimano gears have the same mulitple change ability as Campag?
ya still gotta crank it

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Well you could always try the likes of Onix - Craig will build it just how you want it and will happily chat through your needs. Not sure where you are but he's in Chorley, Lancashire

http://onixbikesonline.com/BIKEBUILDER-C217932.aspx?sid=13913
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    No, Shimano doesn't shift multiple gears up (ultrashift) like Campag -but neither do most of the Campag groupsets anymore unfortunately, I think it's just Chorus and Record. Real shame that Centaur is no longer ultrashift, it was the best value Campag groupset in 2010. Even my 7 year old Mirage 9 speed shifters can do multiple changes.

Anyway, worth looking at Ribble because you can choose the groupset, if not then most of the Italian brands will still do Campag options but might be over budget for the higher end groupsets.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Some Bianchi's will come with Campag - and Willier. Saw one the other day with 2010 ultrashift veloce levers (it was from 2011 onwards that Veloce, Centaur and Athena lost the ultrashift option). You can still get sets of new 10-speed 2010 ultrashift levers on ebay for about £80-100) though you might possibly need a 2010 rear mech to go with them.

If you buy a new campag equiped bike - I daresay you could sell levers/mech unused for a very similar price as to the 2010 alternatives.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Canyon bikes are all available with campag
  • Yes I could use the levers and mech. on my existing bike - seems though that Campag might have reached a tipping point in the UK - even Italian bikes seem to be specifying shimano now - shame about the reduction in availability of the multiple changing - i thought it very handy when changing between big and small rings on hills
    ya still gotta crank it
  • I bought a Battaglin C12 Plus from Wiggle last summer it had Campag Athena 11 speed, got it at a good price I thought £1399.99, although the brakes are Veloce, I'm very pleased with it, my old 531c campag bike now my winter hack, there is a review of it on this site, their web addy is http://www.battaglin.it/index.jsp
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Alot of frame manufacturers have close ties to group manufacturers. You simply won't find a Trek kitted out with Campagnolo. They have heavy ties with Shimano.

Nothing to stop you pulling the Shimano group off, selling it and getting a Campag grouppo. Or maybe negotiate a swap if the dealer is also a Campag stockist, but that's not likely.

Bianchi, Wilier, Pinarello and Canyon are some of the few that will supply a bike with Campag off the shelf.
  • Not carbon but Fatbirds do Ti bikes with Campag for under 2k if you're after all day comfort like the VN Mistral or Yukon and Sabbath Silk Road and September all come with Veloce.

If you're after a carbon bike though Cinelli also come fitted with it as do Dedacciai.
  • Not sure if Rose has been mentioned.. Something like this possibly?

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/rose ... aid:531986
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Just move with the times and go shimano :lol:
  • Thanks to all - had looked at the online bikes such as Rose, Canyon, Ribble etc and whilst all seem good value for money would like to try or at least see before I buy. I live in a rural area in the north east of scotland - very rough on back roads - and like to support local shops but only Shimano available here! Guess I may have to change sides!
    ya still gotta crank it
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    mamiljock wrote:
    Thanks to all - had looked at the online bikes such as Rose, Canyon, Ribble etc and whilst all seem good value for money would like to try or at least see before I buy. I live in a rural area in the north east of scotland - very rough on back roads - and like to support local shops but only Shimano available here! Guess I may have to change sides!

Say it ain't so!!! :cry: Buy Campag - it never goes wrong so you won't need spares anyway!
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Opened my copy of ProCycling to be greeted by a lovely picture of the Cipollini RB1000.
    The advert makes a big thing of it being Italian, made in Italy etc.

Pictured with Shimano?? :shock:
  • mamiljock wrote:
    Thanks to all - had looked at the online bikes such as Rose, Canyon, Ribble etc and whilst all seem good value for money would like to try or at least see before I buy. I live in a rural area in the north east of scotland - very rough on back roads - and like to support local shops but only Shimano available here! Guess I may have to change sides!

Any LBS worth its salt should be able to maintain a Campagnolo fitted bike. My LBS in Dundee mainly stocks Trek and Giant fitted with SRAM and Shimano - with the odd Look and Pinarello - but they sort out my Campag fitted bikes when they (very rarely) need a tweek. Where in the NE do you live?
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    evans had several nice bikes with veloce on.
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    Edinburgh Bike - they have a shop in Aberdeen, and they have some campag specced bikes.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    won't go wrong with a canyon
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • I know - Italian bikes with shimano - all seem to be jumping to shimano now. Stay north of Aberdeen - all the frames I like such as Trek etc , available locally to me, are shimano only now - did see a Wilier Izoard in Aberdeen but had a lower level campag than I would want
    ya still gotta crank it
  • Simple reason is despite claims to European heritage most bikes are made in the far east and most campag is made in Europe. A decent shop should be able to sort you aout a campag bike if thats what you really want though.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    My LBS has a Campag equipped trek in, it just looks wrong.
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • Thanks guys - still intend buying locally so that I can try for size first. Hope availibility of Campag on off the she.lf bikes doesn't dwindle further - might all change with electronic shifting ...
    ya still gotta crank it