Finish Line Dry teflon lube

doubleoseven
doubleoseven Posts: 36
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Has anyone had any problems with the FinishLine Dry Teflon lube?? the newer type that's milky white in appearance. After cleaning my chain and applying it, this mornings ride was the squeakiest :shock: i've known. Others thought it might be a bearing issue somewhere or the larger chainring due to the squeaking/squealing stopping when on the smaller chainring. After giving the bike a thorough clean, a quick spin up and down the road and it was back to nice and quiet, the only thing i have done different is the new chain lube.

Anyone recommend another dry lube for the chain?

Comments

• ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    i must have the old type - for sure it is not milky white - colourless even. It tends to go grey and paste-like it it gets wet.

are you 100% yours is ok in the can.

cleaned the cassette and left it to dry after a rinse in the sun yesterday, and lubed up with this very product in prep for 80k this morning. I even noticed it was very sweet (not squeeky) sounding.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    The new one is milky. I hadn't used it for a while then bought one a couple of months back and was surpsrised to find it white. Makes seeing where and how much you've applied easier though.

How did you clean/degrease the chain before applying? Maybe there was some residue of the degreaser left when you applied the lube?
    More problems but still living....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I use this stuff and don't have a problem. The formula was changed early last year and it foxed a few of us then.

As others have said, make sure the chain is nice and clean first, then apply a good dose of lube and use a piece of kitchen towel or a rag to wipe off the excess. Runs nice and smooth but I don't use the stuff on many other parts (too blinking expensive for a start). I have found multi-oil to be much better on the jockey wheels, brake pivots, derailleur, etc.
  • Oxo
    Oxo Posts: 144
    Has anyone had any problems with the FinishLine Dry Teflon lube?? the newer type that's milky white in appearance. After cleaning my chain and applying it, this mornings ride was the squeakiest :shock: i've known. Others thought it might be a bearing issue somewhere or the larger chainring due to the squeaking/squealing stopping when on the smaller chainring. After giving the bike a thorough clean, a quick spin up and down the road and it was back to nice and quiet, the only thing i have done different is the new chain lube.

Anyone recommend another dry lube for the chain?

Wow, thought it was something I'd done! Yep, exactly the same issue on newish, spotlessly clean Campag chain.
    Sunday Best: 2013 Colnago Master 30th Anniversary
    Foul Weather: 2010 Kinesis Racelight T2
    Commuter: 1958 Holdsworth Zephyr Fixed Gear
  • Thanks for the replies. The reason for the post was that I wanted to rule out the teflon lube being the cause of the squeaking before messing with everything else, so i'm glad in a way that someone else has had this issue. I had cleaned the chain with a Park chain cleaner and some degreaser, let it dry and then applied the lube. Would it be better to clean/degrease and then wd40 the chain to make sure it's dry and then apply the lube?
  • I've just seen this post - I'm having exactly the same problems with Finish Line Dry. And I've given the chain a good clean - trying the WD40 option to dry it first as well.

This time it only lasted around 35miles before it started squeaking .

Like the earlier post I thought it was a bearing problem 1st time.

I'm going to try something else next :(
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    i usually only use it for cleats (speedplay),

did you shake the bottle well before use? if that step is missed the results aren't very good
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • ricky1980
    ricky1980 Posts: 891
    use the shimano dry lube..works good for me over the years
    Road - Cannondale CAAD 8 - 7.8kg
    Road - Chinese Carbon Diablo - 6.4kg
  • gaddster
    gaddster Posts: 401
    Been using rock n roll gold for a while but now just started with some Morgan blue which I'm finding makes things a little smoother and quieter.
    ARTHUR
    "Hello oh great one"
    LARRY
    "Are you talking to me or my ass?"
  • Churchill123
    Churchill123 Posts: 341
    I use the dry teflon finish line milky white consistency stuff and haven't had any issues..
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I find it impossible to believe that any cycling lube of any kind would CAUSE squealing / squeaking. Look elsewhere for your squeaks and squaks.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    yup, the squeeks are going to be lack of lubrication, so it suggests that you've not been able to get the stuff into the chain rollers properly. I use the ceramic dry lube and it's brilliant stuff.
  • velojay
    velojay Posts: 44
    I've noticed that the new stuff squeaks more than the old formula as well. I've taken to using a mix of the dry lube with a little dab of wet lube after to get rid of the squeaking. Kind of negates the use of the dry lube to keep things clean though. I think I will be looking for an alternative dry lube when my bottle runs out.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    VeloJay wrote:
    I've noticed that the new stuff squeaks more than the old formula as well. I've taken to using a mix of the dry lube with a little dab of wet lube after to get rid of the squeaking. Kind of negates the use of the dry lube to keep things clean though. I think I will be looking for an alternative dry lube when my bottle runs out.

ProGold ProLink then :D
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    drlodge wrote:
    VeloJay wrote:

+1

Best stuff there is. Don't understand why people bother with anything else.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    gabriel959 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:
    VeloJay wrote:

+1

Best stuff there is. Don't understand why people bother with anything else.

I've used a lot of different stuff, and I think ProGold is the most overrated chain lube out there. Messy to apply, stinks, and after following the instructions to the letter after one 100 mile ride I had a chain that sounded like it was crushing mice to death.

Finish Line dry works well for me on the weekend bike, for the commuter I use Squirt, which is a wax lube. I was pretty sceptical about it, but it works incredibly well.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    VeloJay wrote:

You've got to be kidding. :roll: Lube that squeaks? And yet you buy this stuff? What alternate universe do you live in? :roll:

P.S. In thinking about this I don't believe that there even is a lube that causes squeaks, let alone encourages them. I have never, repeat never used ANY type of lube on ANY part of a bicycle that caused that part to squeak MORE after I applied it. Repeat - any type of lube on any part of a bicycle. Only in some alterante universes does this happen.