Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

Bent inner tubes?

Bike-RichBike-Rich Posts: 275
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi all,

Been using my road bike recently and it has thin 22mm tires with the presta valve. i use a Topek mini hand pump and have some problems.

I struggle to pump to a 'firm' (100psi+) setting as when the force of the pumping gets greater I find that I bend the valve end. Then when I try screwing the valve back down I shear the end of the valve. I then have to replace the whole inner.

I think part of the problem may be due to me using a low quality inner. Are there any decent names to look out for?
Finally, I think i'll stick to the hand pump for emergency's on a ride but is there a better pump you guys are using for home use?

Many thanks,

• Bike-Rich wrote:
    Hi all,

Been using my road bike recently and it has thin 22mm tires with the presta valve. i use a Topek mini hand pump and have some problems.

I struggle to pump to a 'firm' (100psi+) setting as when the force of the pumping gets greater I find that I bend the valve end. Then when I try screwing the valve back down I shear the end of the valve. I then have to replace the whole inner.

I think part of the problem may be due to me using a low quality inner. Are there any decent names to look out for?
    Finally, I think i'll stick to the hand pump for emergency's on a ride but is there a better pump you guys are using for home use?

Many thanks,

Pump (and your technique) is the problem, get a decent track pump for home, ditch the topeak and buy a leyzene pressure drive for rides or get a CO2 inflater (again would recommend leyzene) I don't carry a pump now just a CO2 plus a couple of spare cartridges.
  • bus_terbus_ter Posts: 337
    Getting 100PSI out of a mini pump is a challenge! That's where the problem lies. I have a minipump on one of my bikes and consider it good enough to 'limp home' with in emergencies. To get over 100psi you really need a track pump or a high quality larger than mini hand pump.

CO2 is also an optiion. I find a 16g cannister emptied into a 23mm tyre gets me over 100psi in about 10 seconds :) The genuine inovations are just as good as the Leyzenes IMHO.
  • ben16vben16v Posts: 296
    used the genuine innovation gas for the first time today and it is brilliant but will still be taking my lezyne pressure drive with me too - both outstanding products
    i need more bikes
  • rakerake Posts: 3,281
    lift the wheel off the ground while pumping and hold both rim and pump if your hands are bigenough.
  • Bike-RichBike-Rich Posts: 275
    Thanks guys,

The Lezne range seems great, I will definately get a floor pump and hopefully a pressure drive too sometime.
    I see there are a few tips of floor pumps in the range and the below is one of the cheapest. Do you think this will be ok guys?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lezyne-Steel- ... 3a6f9a6ce1

So my only other question is inner tubes. What ones should I get? I know the problem was my pump now but the current tube valves are slightly bent so might as well replace them,

Kind regards,
  • I don't worry to much about them, normally buy specialized tubes but have had continental and schwalbe all with good results. Tyres normally more important than tubes ref puncture resistance.