Can a 29er enter a cyclo cross race?

wobbem
wobbem Posts: 283
edited February 2012 in MTB general
As posted above, now hydro brakes are allowed.
Don't think, BE:

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Check the rules of the specific race, but I know for the amateur ones round here any bike can enter. Fulls sus MTB to TT bike.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Most cx events will let you enter on whatever you like at the lower levels, the disc brake ban only applied to uci events anyway which is unlikely to include your local league.

Give it shot and see how you like it. I entered my first cx race last winter on my full sus MTB and was hooked, built a cross bike up over the year and have raced several times since
  • I did all my schoolboy racing on a mountain bike, wheel size does not come into it. I was just never that competitive on it. You were lucky if you broke top 5 or even 10 on a mountain bike. But all bikes can enter as long as they are suitable for purpose. The disc brake rule was only for UCI ranked events but even that has been lifted now.

Give it a try its all good fun. Just bere in mind that the races vary hugely depending on where you live in the uk.
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Interestingly the UCI allows cyclocross bikes in xc races.
  • supersonic wrote:

That is interesting considering at UCI level mountain bikes could not ride cyclocross races.
    Cheers,

Phil

Sintesi 707
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    supersonic wrote:

That is interesting considering at UCI level mountain bikes could not ride cyclocross races.

They redid the Beijing XC course did nt they because the riders were threatening to use CX bikes as it was so easy. I suspect the onus is on course planners to make them too tough for a CX bike to be of benefit.

One guy at a local CX race here has a beautiful, rigid, SANTOS, Carbon everything, 29er with full XTR and skinny 1.5in tyres on. I suspect that for a lot of amateurs that that would have been a significant advantage over a CX bike, especially on a more technical course (which I'm not sure this was).
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver