Help to improve bike position

sampras38
sampras38 Posts: 1,917
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Hi all,

I'm not sure if any of you can help but I'll put it out there anyway..;-)

I'm a fraction under 6ft and ride 2 bikes. A Cube Attempt for winter and a Cube Agree GTC SL for good weather, sportives etc. Both bikes are size 56 and fit pretty well, but as the GTC has a slightly more racy geometry, the bars are a tad too low and I can't quite get completely comfy on it. I've used the GTC on many 100+ mile events, Wales dragon etc, plus long rides in the Alps, and it's nearly there fit-wise, but I think I need to raise the front 5-10mm somehow. Problem is, I'm on a short upturned stem as it is, and think I've run out of room for an additional spacer.

Am I basically screwed or can you think of anyway to raise the front?

I was thinking perhaps that because I use the other Cube a lot more (winter training rides, turbo etc) that my body perhaps needs to adjust a bit more to the GTC. Or, I move the seat a few mill back so I'm not leaning on the bars so much. My seat height/fore/after are pretty much bang on I think, but would move seat back a few mill cause too many problems?

Sorry for the ramble.

Pistol

Comments

• bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    You could get a stem with a sharper angle? As for moving the seat back, doesn't that put more weight on the handlebars as you have to learn forward further?
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    You don't want to move your seat to sort a reach problem - the position of your seat is relative to the BB which doesn't move.

Like buster said the best way is to get a stem with slightly more rise. 5-10mm shouldn't be hard.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • sampras38
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm aware it's not a good idea to move seat to bars and currently have an upturned stem (not angled). This is part of the problem as I think I've covered the usual remedies. I'll take a look at some alternative stems and I've also decided to have another bike fit. (BG). It was over a year ago when I had my first fit so I guess it can't hurt.

Cheers
  • bus_ter
    bus_ter Posts: 337
    How much seat post do you have out the frame? Maybe you need to size up the frame a couple of cm's, thus effectively bringing the handlebars up a couple of cm's, with less seat post showing. Also look at sportives with taller head tubes, and shorter top tubes. Also try a online fit calculator, put in your measurements and see how close the resulting frame dimensions are to your current bikes.I don't know how much use paying for another bike fit will be, all they can adjust is your stem, which is already at the top of the spacers and flipped. Which in its self suggests you're trying to fudge the fit of frame that doesn't quite fit. Another problem with bike fitting is they often don't take into account flexibility and put you in a position that matches your body proportions, but you become uncomfortable on long rides because your body is not flexible enough to maintain.

Anyway that's just some food for thought.without changing frame all you can do is add a stem with a positive angle. Remember as the angle increases the handlebars will get closer, so you may need to also lengthen the stem slightly.
  • sampras38
    Thanks again Bus.

May end up with angled and longer stem.

We'll see.