New Bike Advice

shaunq
shaunq Posts: 9
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi everyone, I'm new to the biking world and am looking to invest in my first bike. If any of you could point me in the right direction that would be hugely appreciated.

I am hoping to start training for some long distance runs (long distance for me 50ish miles), though mainly on canals, so a road bike would not be suitable, but it will hopefully be lightweight. I do also occasionally like riding on single trail routes, for example Chase the Dog at Cannock Chase for those of you who are familiar with it, and so some suspension would be needed.

I have a budget of £500, which could potentially be stretched for the right bike. I saw there are some sales on at the moment, and so if I got a bargain I'd be happy to exceed my budget within reason!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers
Shaun

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Have a look at the Decathlon Rockrider 8.1, or Carrera Fury and Boardman Comp (good sale prices on the latter). Great specs for the money!
  • As above the Decathlon or Boardman Comp would be decent light weight bikes for the money.

You can pick up a brand new 2010 Marin B17 for £549 if you want medium or small at the moment. A heavier bike than the above ones but it is awesome.

It has RockShox TORA XC Solo Air forks 120mm, Jucy 3 Disks, X7/X5 Drivetrain, Speed Disk wheels and reasonable finishing kit. My money would be on that knowing how good the frame is and the fact it was £999 in 2010.
    My Mint As New Marin Rocky Ridge for sale @ £400
    viewtopic.php?f=40089&t=12893399
  • shaunq
    shaunq Posts: 9
    Thanks for the advice, I had a look at the Boardman, but have decided to get a bike on finance, which rules that out unfortunately.

I was looking into the Cube bikes, does anyone have any opinion on these two bikes?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=57168
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _Bike_2011

I don't know much about components, so couldn't work out which was the higher model of the two within the range! The bikes are a little heavier, but as I'm new to this I don't think I appreciate fully how different weights would feel on the uphill sections.

Any thoughts or alternate suggestions would be hugely appreciated!