Tips for building carbon bike

crescent
crescent Posts: 1,201
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Can anyone give me any good tips before I start building my new Ribble Gran Fondo? I have stripped, overhauled and rebuilt several bikes in the past and I am perfectly happy with the technical side of things but I have never worked with carbon before - surely there must be some valuable 'do's and don'ts' out there. I don't plan on using a carbon stem or seatpost although I haven't ruled it out just yet so it will be most likely aluminium components on a carbon frame.
Any advice appreciated, no matter how simple.
Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"

Comments

• racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I'd get something like the Richey Torque Key and take care with things like the front derailleur clamp.

Don't worry too much though, if you've rebuilt bikes in the past you'll be fine. Carbon isn't really all that delicate.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    +1 for the Ritchey torque key, or a proper torque wrench if you can get hold of one.

I'd also get some small clear patches to put on the frame where the cables make contact.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Carbon paste helps to - you'll need less torque on the seat post to stop it slipping.

Also, I wouldn't put a carbon frame directly in a workstand by clamping the frame - clamp onto the alloy seatpost.

If the fork has a carbon steerer, make sure you use a bung rather than a star-nut to set the bearing load.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Thanks folks, all sounds like good advice. :D
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"