Slow spin on BB30

Old Tuggo
Old Tuggo Posts: 482
edited January 2012 in Workshop
My new bike has a BB30 bottom bracket which spins much slower than the octolink on my old bike. Is this normal and if so, is it it a retrograde step in power output? I believe the BB30 is supposed to be much stiffer but I never felt flex on my old one.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Bearing seal drag - should ease-up with use and will have negligent impact on your power output
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Normal,

BB30 is not a step back, but wants to correct a fundamental error... large axles (hollowtech, Ultra torque etc.) need large bearings, which need to sit outside the BB shell, in this way they get filled with crap and last very little, with BB30 and oversized BB shells, the bearings go back inside and enjoy a little more protection...and function better... the trade off is that what used to be a garage job, becomes a workshop job... unless of course you want to invest in bearing extractors as well
    left the forum March 2023
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Normal,

BB30 is not a step back, but wants to correct a fundamental error... large axles (hollowtech, Ultra torque etc.) need large bearings, which need to sit outside the BB shell, in this way they get filled with crap and last very little, with BB30 and oversized BB shells, the bearings go back inside and enjoy a little more protection...and function better... the trade off is that what used to be a garage job, becomes a workshop job... unless of course you want to invest in bearing extractors as well

Not true... FSA do a very neat bearing extractor that's only £4.99 available @ CRC. I know I bought one and have done a few BB30s with it now and loaned it to people in my club as well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36371
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • brettjmcc wrote:
    Normal,

Not true... FSA do a very neat bearing extractor that's only £4.99 available @ CRC. I know I bought one and have done a few BB30s with it now and loaned it to people in my club as well.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=36371

I don't disagree, I am just saying that fitting and removing bearings is not everybody's job...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Old Tuggo
    Old Tuggo Posts: 482
    Thanks for the reassurance re the drag - it is FSA. I have hardly ridden the bike - waiting for the dry days when it should become free-er with use. I am hoping it will be a long time before the bearings need replacing as I have never had to do it on any of my other bikes.