Spds = sore feet please help

orienteerstu55
orienteerstu55 Posts: 102
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
I used to own a very expensive pare of lake shoes, they were a tad on the large size and gave me lots of pain in my feet, the pain was located along the side of the foot on the outside its either muscle or ligament based. I got a new pare that fit perfectly and still the same pain. it occurs after about 30 min riding.

Has anyone experienced similar, how did you sort it ?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    done up too tight?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gezebo
    gezebo Posts: 364
    Have you got largish feet and small pedals by any chance?
  • yes gazebo i do size 47 shoe and crack brothers 2 pedals. have you had this problem ?
  • Matt88
    Matt88 Posts: 83
    Is it by any chance rubbing on the little toe and the area just behind it?

If so i'm experiencing exactly suffering exactly the same thing. I've tried loosening and tightening the shoe and i bought a new pair of shoes to see if they would solve the problem, which they havn't.
    I have specialized tahoe and dhb m1 shoes on m520 or m785 trail pedals.

Hope someone has an explanation for this :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes gazebo i do size 47 shoe and crack brothers 2 pedals. have you had this problem ?
    Should make no difference if the shoes are,as you say, good as they should not flex so the pedal size makes no difference.

BUT if the sole is flexing then this could be the issue. But in most cases it is just people doing up the retaining device too tight.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gezebo
    Well it sounds like you are getting tired feet due to the sole flexing on your shoes. Maybe try a pedal with a larger platform to support your foot.

Generally the larger the shoe the more flex there will be even in a shoe that's designed to be stiff. For example a size 40 shoe will flex much less than a 47 in the same shoe. The flex will also vary depending on cleat position and your weight

It's quite a personal thing but you could persevere and try and build strength but if its been happening a while with different shoes then a larger pedal may be required.
  • gezebo
    Matt88 wrote:
    Is it by any chance rubbing on the little toe and the area just behind it?

Hope someone has an explanation for this :)

For the rubbing problem try a volume reducer or a superfeet insole. The volume reducer is a cheep compressed rubber insole that you put under the existing insole. Just google superfeet- these are more expensive.

Either way the rubbing will be caused by a poor fit of the shoe. Again its a personal thing but the spesh shoe I find to be a little wide for my narrow feet.

Another option of course is to wear thicker socks!
  • i think for me gazebo some it up best i think it is a case of fatigued feet lol. il try to strengthen them, and loosen the shoe a bit to see if that helps. Thanks for you advice guys.
  • i suffered from the same problem when i first went over to SPDs.

i adjusted my cleat position and it solved it completely. i found my cleat position was to far forward and to much towards the outside of the foot ( as you look down on the foot).
    Cube Acid 2011