Coast to Coast

Corporate Camper
Corporate Camper Posts: 293
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Evening All...

I've signed up to do the Coast to Coast (Whitehaven to Sunderland) ride, on the road, in late June.

Now, at the moment I'm a fat bloke (18 odd stone) but I do a few of the "Bike Events" style rides of around 60 miles without any drama, so I'm not completely unfit but I know I need to start a bit or training sooner, rather than later.

So, the question is: Has anyone done the ride? What are the hills like...? I hear Hartside Summit is a bit of a gruelling one but it's not the steepest of the bunch?

At the end of Feb I'm planning to start cycling to work daily (or most days at least) and that will be 30 miles per day so it should help to lose a couple of stone... which should help.
'12 CAAD 8 Tiagra

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Start now and I'll look out for you tomorrow; ETA ~8:07 into town, via Poundon. :)
  • I'm not in Bicester now, route will be Steeple Claydon to Bletchley! I'll use Poundon as my "training hill" as I know I can get up it OK!
    '12 CAAD 8 Tiagra
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That's a good run. Enjoy. I'll look out for you if or when I do the Horwood - Winslow - V junction or Claydon villages route in then.

To answer your OP, hills is hills so as long as you're ok doing nasty little buggers like Poundon or the short sharp climb into East Claydon you should be ok. It's quite flat round our way but the road from Padbury to the A421 at the Lone Tree pub x-roads for Thornborough is a good long slog in either direction and is worth doing reps on, or the main road from the old Thornton bridge up to that same pub. Off the top of my head I can't think of many hills that might match what they have up there, assuming that it is a hilly route.
  • RowCycle
    RowCycle Posts: 367
    I did it 10 or so years ago.

Hartside is the worst hill as is a long drag. Nice cycle. Hope it goes well.