Hollowtech II bottom bracket not rotating freely

mat*46*
mat*46* Posts: 149
edited January 2012 in Workshop
Can you guys help with this.

I've fitted loads of bottom brackets over the last few years but this one doesn't seem right.

I've bought a brand new Shimano 105 Hollowtech II bottom bracket. I've fitted this to my bike and inserted a FSA MEGA EXO carbon chainset. I'm 95% sure they are compatible, certainly the bearings are the same size.

Any way the cranks don't spin freely at all. With no chain on I give them a spin with full force and they barely turn 180 degrees.

I've not overtighted the bolt. I've removed the cranks, greesed them and re fitted without tightening the bolt at all but the same result.

The bearings seem really stiff.

Is this right? What could be the problem?

Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    First HT 2 (or first external bearing) bb fitted to the frame?

Is yes get it faced.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mat*46*
    Yeah it's HT 2. The cups are fitted to the frame. The frame has had other bottom brackets fitted ok.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Some of the FSA carbon chainsets aren't compatable with hollowtech II BBs, my SLK light being one.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Yes, FSA carbon MegaExo chainsets require narrower bearings - Hollowtech II only works with Gossamer / alloy MegaExo chainsets - there's not a lot in it, but noticeable that they don't spin as freely. Check out the FSA tech docs for more info.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • mat*46*
    It hardly spins at all. What do you reckon then, new bottom bracket or facing?

It is an old steel frame but it did have a cartridge bb fitted ok.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    They are not compatible, which is a bummer. Whilst FSA produce some nice cranks their BBs can be a real pain. As per some of the above posts there are compatibility issues and if you search the interweb you will see many tales of woe and frustration about BBs and making them fit, which even though we are talking a gnat's nob it makes all the difference.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Yes, FSA carbon MegaExo chainsets require narrower bearings - Hollowtech II only works with Gossamer / alloy MegaExo chainsets - there's not a lot in it, but noticeable that they don't spin as freely. Check out the FSA tech docs for more info.

Sweet. Monty do you know which colour of the FSA cups = to shimano compable?

OP I would still get the shell faced if it has never ad an external BB fitted before.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Monty Dog
    The HT2-compatible MegaExo cups are 6000 series (Energy and Gossamer) whereas carbon cranks are 8000 series. I have both and they're both Gold!
  • mat*46*
    This is the chainset i bought:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170738589172?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I've just bought this bb as well.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180789458659? ... 1497.l2649

Have I messed up. Should it have gold cups?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That BB says it's Italian thread. Your frame got an Italian threaded BB shell ??
  • Monty Dog
    Colour has no bearing on whether the cups fit, but you need an 8000 series BB for an SLK chainset - the threading needed is dictated by the framed.
  • mat*46*
    Yeah it's italian thread. Fingers crossed!
  • mat*46*
    Success & Failure at the same time!! I've fitted the new bottom bracket and pushed the chainset through and it's defo correct this time, it's allot much smoother.

However, I now can't bolt on the other crank. I've had a quick inspection of the splines on the drive side crank and it looks like I may have damaged them when removing the cvrank. They seem to have warped a bit.

Looks like I need new cranks unless any one has any ideas.
  • Monty Dog
    You can often buy a single crank arm rather than just replacing the whole lot.