Kona Dawg - Bearing & Headset removal advice needed

tom_fun
tom_fun Posts: 124
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there, I am stripping my frame to get powder coated and have 2 stumbling blocks at the moment.

I have removed all of the bearings except 2 at the back end of the chain stay which I can't work out how to remove (see photo...)

KONA.jpg

The only other thing I need to remove is the headset and thought I'd ask on here for any ghetto tips for removal before I take the plunge and buy a removal tool.

All help appreciated chaps!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Does the bearing knock out from the other side? Usually a suitable sized socket and hammer does the trick.

You can knock headset cups out with a screwdriver and hammer, but not ideal.
  • tom_fun
    tom_fun Posts: 124
    The bearing looks exactly the same from the other side and the little black washer seems very brittle. I have cracked some of it already just by trying to pry at it with a small flat head screw driver.

Would you attack the headset with a screw driver from inside the tube or on the outside?

Cheers Supersonic
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Headset from the inside. Put a (bluntish big) screwdriver against the cup from the opposite side and give it a short, sharp whack. It will fly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools