pulling my hair out what bike?

wriggley
wriggley Posts: 25
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
So I've now been looking for a mtb for around a month now and I'm struggling to decide which one I know I want a all mountain kinda hardtail I will be doing a bit of fitness around 55 miles a week xc but I want a bike that can take the hits down hill drops and trails. My budget is £850 which has rose considerably since I started looking. Now I'm not a bike brand anon but the spec iS most important to me as an example I think the 2011 Orange crush would be a good option for me but at a grand its to steep .

This is what think could be a viable option and what I would like to know is Is there a bike out there with a better spec and suited to my style of riding for £850

VOODOO WANGA

Rock shox revelation Rl 140mm air fork
Avid elixir r brakes
Shimano Deore xt rear Mech
Shimano Deore xt front mech
Shimano Deore xt shifters
Shimano Deore hollow tech cranks
Alex sx 44 rims
Maxxis minions tyres
The rest is voodoo componentry
The frame has adjustable dropouts for single speed options

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It's not a DH bike, but a tough bike nonetheless that will take some light DH, and small/med well landed drops and jumps. For the money is not better than this really - if it fits well I'd buy it!
  • Thanks pal to be honest I'm not new to bikes I was a mtb rider about ten years ago went to bmx n motocross Im just having trouble catching up and re emerging into mtb again as technologies and catagories have moved on some chump at halfords told my bro that the voodoo wanga was shit n not worth considering I did have my doubts about his comments however

Thanks again sonic
  • Or a boardman comp or team
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good bikes, but not as hard hitting or capable on bigger stuff. Trade off is they are lighter.
  • gregwari
    gregwari Posts: 230
    Slightly out of your price band but I'd have a look at Ragleys Blue Pig (potential second hand purchase option?). I saw one up at Swinley a few months back - it looked the mutts nuts
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    The fork alone is £300+ on the voodoo, the fork is excellent
    The bike will cope with all trail centre stuff but you may find its limit if you start riding fr/dh courses...

Second hand hardtail like mentioned all depends what you mean by "hits down hill drops and trails"
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • hey thanks for the advise guys i orderd a voodoo wanga today and will be ready to pick up on tuesday i do agree about the ragley blue pig been a smart looking bit of kit but also think that the components equal that of the voodoo almost so an option for the future mabee a frame swap to the blue pig and a wheel upgrade the bars stem seatpost pedals will be getting replaced on the wanga over time anyway