hope pro hub

gezebo
gezebo Posts: 364
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi
I have a hope pro ti hub and the freehub body is just jammed on. Any ideas on how to get it off?
I've seen the YouTube vid of the guy pulling it off with his hands...
I fear it may be well and truly stuck.
The hub is over 5 years old and I had to use a hammer to remove the qr skewer!
On the plus side the bearings were still running smoothly after years of use...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Rotate each cog backwards to get them out of the cuts that have been made in the alloy body ( the pro did not have the Ti option) common issue with low level cassettes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • gezebo
    Hi, not sure if I've used the right terminology but basically I have a hope hub that I need to replace the pawls and springs (and bearings) I've removed the cassette (on my 3rd now) and need to get this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25986
    It's 2nd hand and at least 5 years old. Pretty sure its a ti one but they all go together in the same way?
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    bearings will have seized on to the axle happened to our kids pro 2 when we trying to convert it to a 10mm through axle..
    i take it you already seen this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgUvv76H28

follow the instructions but do it the opposite way.

i had to knock the axel out the other way knock it out from the brake non driveside (so it comes out of the hub with the freehub body still attached) then had to use a vice and hammer to try and knock the freehub body off the axel. the bearings still silky smooth but the case was ruted to hell and seized onto the axel.. we did get them off with a little swearing and hamering the crap out of it...
  • gezebo
    I thought the bearings may be seized, thanks for the link. I'd seen that. They made it look really easy.

I'm taking the car to garage tomorrow so I'll ask to borrow s bearing puller I think. I've tried hitting the axle with a hammer (really hard) but its not moved.
  • nicklouse
    If it is a Ti body then it will be a Bulb or an XC the parts are not all interchangeable so make sure you ID the hub first.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • delcol
    my pro 2 (was around 15 month old) and the free hub just pulled of by hand only trouble i had was the scored cassette..
    though it will only be a 10 min job to convert our kids as we now know what we are doing. wrong his hub was 3 year old and like you say all the pulling and twisting and prying would not budge it..

like i said try suporting the hub and knocking out the axel like he does i the video but knock it out from the non drive side this should come out leave the non drive side bearing in the hub and the drive side bearing still attached to the axel with the free hub body..

tried this to it kind worked.. but knocking it out from the non driveside was better.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-09KxrRIbY
  • gezebo
    Mmm, 2p way is a no goer due to axle sticking out. I can get I tiny bit of movement but its just the play in the bearings. Pretty sure they are seized on shaft.
    Shame really as they were good hubs but its looking like the most economical solution is s new wheel as replacing axle, bearings and freehub plus any other damage caused by removal is not really cost effective.
    I had a look and I'm pretty sure the hub is one with a bulb axle but either way nothing is moving :-(
  • delcol
    you probably already have

just trying to help you

can you not give it good old dowsing in wd40 and leave over night then try knocking it out like i said..

failing that take wheel to lbs see what they can do..

it did require somw violent hits with the hammer to get it out...
  • nicklouse
    WD will do little. A penetration oil is what is needed not a water displacer. Try Plus Gas.
  • gezebo
    Thanks for the help. For those that are interested its off!

However it was well and truly seized. I ended up used heat to release it. However its not looking good...

The axle had snapped so now half of it is still in the freehub! The other half came out with a swift whack of a hammer. The reverse side of the non-drive side bearing was immaculate. The bearings on the drive side of the wheel are still stuck and not budging and I still have the axle stuck in the hub to resolve.

The pawls had worn to nothing explaining the initial problem I had. Sadly this hub is beyond economical repair...

Anyone got a rear wheel for sale??!
  • nicklouse
    sounds like a Pro2 as the bulb axels are just too big.
    Pics?
  • gezebo
    Yep got pics, struggling to put them on here so...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... d44d9a9834
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Bring back the Bulb I say. Bulletproof, TI freehubs, awesomeness in a hub.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.