rear mrch

daftlad22
daftlad22 Posts: 46
edited January 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi guys ,im, returning to the MTB after about 12 years off ,the last bike i had was a GT RTS 1 that served me well /
Now got an agrressor 1.0 in good nick , i like the frame and i will upgrade as i go along and that brings me to my question which regarding changing my rear mech.
Im good with the mechanics of the bike and can set the rear and front mech ok but no matter how i try the rear just has to much play to index cleanly, the mech is a deore , im gona upgrade to an XT , are they all interchangable or do i have to find the correct one , it runs 9 speed mega 9 i think but as im not sure of the model year i cant search the factory build spec .
Please could antone advise
Cheers Phil

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yep - make saure you get a mega nine one nothing ending in sm??2/3

A deore one will work fine and is £30 vs £55 of XT for very little performance improvement.
  • cheers mate deos the XTR version offer better performance and do they work with the mega 9
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes it does, but not £100 worth. I have one but bought it not on performance/£ basis.
  • Chunkers1980
    And yes if you buy the 97/0/1/2 version.
  • daftlad22
    daftlad22 Posts: 46
    edited January 2012
    gettin complex now , rapid rise does this work cleaner on upshifts with the tension reversed or is this a complete different system
    Would that be M970
    Cheers Phil
  • Chunkers1980
    Marmite really. spring reversed. Same system.
  • So i still push the shifter for up shift and finger click for down
    Ive seen M970 XTR is this the same as 97/0/12
    Cheers
  • Chunkers1980
    No it's the other way around.

On the mech it will specifically say Rapid rise. No shadow version is XTR RR IIRC - that a normal type.

Shifters are where the performance comes differential comes in.
  • oh , my shifters are deore if i remember they are mid range , so im likely to get better performance in shifting if i changed the shifters
  • Chunkers1980
    Well, yes as yours aren't 2 way release.

If you want to spend the money, a Deore mech and XT shifters will be a definate upgrade/improvement. (with new cables) ba
  • you have been most helpfull mate looks like it will be an XT mech M750 and XT shifters ive got new cables ready to go
    Cheers Phil.
  • Chunkers1980
    that's quite an old mech. My advice was based on the last 2 versions. The mech should be fine (if old), but the shifters may not (as tehy are not 2 way release.)
  • could you advise on the latet XT mech and shifters that are 2 way shift as i cant run to XTR mech and shifters its the number codes that are confusing me thanks
  • Chunkers1980
    9 pd versions are m772 for the shadow mech and 770 for the shifter. but for just 2 way release you need m590. The old deore 530 as I think you have a 1 way only. But I'd lookfor the single rear on CRC XTR for £57 and just buy the deore mech.
  • thanks ill use my deore rear and upgrade the shifters then but just what does 2 way mean as i think you are advising stick with single or am i thick lol
    XTR M970 ? ive spotted those will they work
  • Chunkers1980
    Yes they will, but I thought the point was your mech is trollied?
  • Chunkers1980
    Oh and 2 way release means they downshift (index finger) and release a gear in either direction i.e with thumb too, The extra advantage with just the XTR is Duel release that allows 2 down shifts in one movement/clicks again in both directions.
  • I think there is to much play in the rear mech , but when you commented that its the shifters that will give you a better shift i had second thoughts , however ive done a bit more diggin and i think ive found a good combination , im gona splash out on some good used XTR shifters [ i sumise these are 2 way shift ] and a M 772 XT Shadow long cage rear as i am led to belive this will run with the mega 9 and give clean indexing , any thoughts
    Phil
  • Chunkers1980
    Why used shifters? Are they M970 range? Yep that mech is the one, and is mega 9. Are you on a long cage mech atm?
  • shifters it price how do i find out which cage lentgh i require is it just a measurement issue
    The shifters are M970 it may be better to get an XTR mech as long a its the same M series is XTR mega 9 compatable
  • Chunkers1980
    A simple rule of thumb is 3 rings long cage, 2 rings medium, 1 ring short, hence my question about what you have atm. XTR mech is not needed, it's not the 'm' that's the series it's the number i.e. 970. 972 just not the 973 dynasis or XTR + mech.
  • 3 rings then its defo long cage i will require , i would like to keep everything one style if i can , tarty i know but i will bring the whole bike to the same spec in time
    Oh ye my deore shifters say 2 way on em so they may e ok , back to the rear mech being worn