Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB buying advice

new bars.

zr50slzr50sl Posts: 29
edited January 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hello,

I'm thinking of getting wider bars for my carrera furyl and cant decide between the ragley wiser (710mm) and raceface atlas am (725mm).I currently run 680mm bars on my bike and am looking for something a little bit wider but not too extreme.The raceface bar is slightly lighter but I'm not too bothered about this.Any thoughts on this appreciated.

• DodgeTDodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Get the longer ones, then if you don't like them, chop them down.
  • delcoldelcol Posts: 2,848
    what do you ride?
    xc
    down hil ect.

also what size stem do you run? most people run a shorter stem with wider bars to improve control..

to give you an idea i run a 50mm stem on my hardtail (160mm travel) and 710mm bars
    i run a 50mm stem on my fullsuss allmountain rig (160mm travel bike) and 735mm bars
    and my dh/park bike (180mm travel) runs 45 mm stem and 745mm bars
  • zr50slzr50sl Posts: 29
    Delcol:

I ride mainly xc/trail and a 70mm stem.I'm just looking for a little more control on the descents mainly.
  • 1mancity21mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    Buy the widest ones then ride with them, if they feel to long cut them down, I had 680mm on my hardtail when I started riding then went to 710mm and the difference was positive, (70mm stem on both)

Now I have a 70mm stem with 760mm bars which is perfect for the riding I do.

You can shorten wider bars but you will struggle to lengthen the narrow ones :D
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • .blitz.blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have used both bars on the same bike and the Ragleys are, tbh, a bit shite. For 6061 aluminium they feel dead like a piece of scaffolding.

The Atlas bars are in a different league they feel stiff and direct but not harsh and 725 is a great width for trail riding. Ideally your elbows should still be bent with your hands on the bars, not locked out.

If the bars are too wide you can always lop a few mm off with a hacksaw.
  • Body size also plays a part in getting a comfortable width.

I've just gone from 685mm on my c456 to 800mm, as 685 felt too narrow, i'm quite wide shouldered though. Not ridden the 800mm bars yet due to man flu, but i'll keep them at 800mm for a while just to be sure i don't cut too much off (if i even decide to cut at all). Also i don't think i'd have noticed much difference only going upto say 710mm, it's 12.5mm wider each side, or the width of a small finger.
  • zr50slzr50sl Posts: 29
    Thanks for all the input guys.I think I'll go with the raceface atlas bars.Can get them for £40 from wiggle which is only a fiver more than the ragleys.
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    I ride 635mm. Funny old world ;-)
  • .blitz.blitz Posts: 6,197
    X-Lite carbon on the Proflex, 580mm. Mind you the top tube is about 1000mm :)
  • delcoldelcol Posts: 2,848
    supersonic wrote:
    I ride 635mm. Funny old world ;-)

that because your old school hardcore,, and we are all new wave pussies.. :P :P

each to their own we are all different in many ways shapes weights tastes ect. what suites me and i like may not suite supersonic and what suites supersonic may not suit darryl 1983 and what suits him may not suit blitz/1mancity ect.

i guess start wide and cut down as mentioned or i guess you could start wide and during the ride (if you have lcok on grips) you could slide your grips in slightly to different widths to try see what suits you... then cut the bars down...