So whats gonna happen then??

josame
josame Posts: 1,141
edited January 2012 in Pro race
I reckon we should be getting an answer by friday...so which outcome are you hedging your bets on (that is outcome on friday - not long term):

1) 2 year ban
2) no ban
3) other
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• 3) - Other - I think he will get a ban but backdated. I believe he will be back racing before the Tour this year and won't lose all last years victories.

I also expect to be totally wrong so it will be option 1) or 2)!!!!

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not too sure....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Bantam's got the idea.

A ban in theory - no ban in practice.
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    2 Year ban
    cartoon.jpg
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    +1 with Bantam

Whatever happens it will be irrelevant and probably will not affect the wining Tour's either, it's going to be interesting to see how the UCI spin this one...

2 years ago I would have hoped Doobz was right but, honestly, i just don't care any more
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    2 year ban

UCI "spin" would be interesting as they're the ones appealing. Sp if CAS clear him it's not great for them.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    My guess is a one year ban, so he effectively misses 2012. However, he keeps all results except the 2010 Tour which goes to Schleck.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    He walks.
  • josame
    My thoughts tend towards the UCI spinning out some sort of 'suspended sentence'.. ie I think he will ride this year
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame
    Bakunin wrote:
    He walks.

Like it, sneeky old UCI ...he can compete but they take away his bike!! :lol:
  • iainf72 wrote:
    2 year ban

UCI "spin" would be interesting as they're the ones appealing. Sp if CAS clear him it's not great for them.

Thinking it through more, I think Iain has it.

The UCI surely wouldn't spin it as they are the ones appealing. It therefore really only leaves CAS with clearing him or going for the 2 year ban. I'm not sure of what the precident is with CAS.

I desperately hope they don't clear him. Not through any dislike for Bertie, I like watching him, I just think in the long run, it is much better for cycling and the fight against doping.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    indeterminate ban - but likely 2yrs, backdated to 2010 Tour. If he walks, everyone's lawyer from Baxter to Li will be sharpening their claws

Strava is not Zen.
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Yep, I reckon a 2 year band too.
  • josame
    iainf72 wrote:
    2 year ban

To take effect from which date?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    So Andy's gonna win the Tour?

What were all you haters saying about him never winning the Tour? ;)
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Presumably if CAS don't clear him, they'll have some stern words for the UCI, over the way the whole thing has been handled, because Contador should never have been able to ride last year, and should have been forced to get the hearing over asap, but he was allowed to ride, and frankly I think it spoilt the season.

So does the CAS have any way of sanctioning the UCI?
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • josame
    Jez mon wrote:
    Presumably if CAS don't clear him, they'll have some stern words for the UCI, over the way the whole thing has been handled, because Contador should never have been able to ride last year, and should have been forced to get the hearing over asap, but he was allowed to ride, and frankly I think it spoilt the season.

So does the CAS have any way of sanctioning the UCI?

c'mon them theres strong words .. 'spoilt the season' - I thought we had a great year of sport to watch
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Jez mon wrote:

Why should he not been able to ride? He was cleared by his federation, the UCI appealed. You're free to race during the appeal process.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    When you think about how much time has been allowed to pass before any result can be posted you have to feel a bit sick. This does the 'sport' no favours and stretches out the agony for all. If he is found guilty (if) then he must lose the 2010 TdF but what else? Do we have another of those suspended penalties like M. Bauge?

I think the waters have been made sufficiently muddy for our slippery fish to swim away :(
    The older I get the faster I was
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Why should he not been able to ride? He was cleared by his federation, the UCI appealed. You're free to race during the appeal process.

I'm probably being overeager to apportion blame to the UCI.

TBH, throughout this, I've just felt that it was one thing watching a sport where a lot of the riders dope to gain an advantage, but quite another thing watching a sport where a rider get caught, banned, then cleared by their national federation, only to have the worldwide anti doping association, and the international cycling federation appeal, while the rider rides for the whole season...
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Flavio Becca's comments are interesting
    http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/07012012/47/tour-france-jefe-schleck-carga-contador.html
    Basically claiming there's a stitch up with Riis pandering to the Israeli judge on the CAS panel (arrranging the Saxo camp to Israel and being received by the Israeli government).
    My translation "I personally believe that everything is done. It's true. You cannot have on one side an Israeli judge and on the other a pre-season camp in Israel and being officially received. I think I am right. "
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

I know what youre saying but the Giro would have been really different and think of the people he has denied the oppourtunity of standing on the podium/wearing the leaders jersey and such like....

It's been correct according to the system, but the system is cr*p!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • huret
    huret Posts: 62
    Flavio Becca's comments are interesting
    http://es.eurosport.yahoo.com/07012012/47/tour-france-jefe-schleck-carga-contador.html
    Basically claiming there's a stitch up with Riis pandering to the Israeli judge on the CAS panel (arrranging the Saxo camp to Israel and being received by the Israeli government).
    My translation "I personally believe that everything is done. It's true. You cannot have on one side an Israeli judge and on the other a pre-season camp in Israel and being officially received. I think I am right. "
    I agree. El Pistolero will be aquitted, 100% certain :roll: .
    Savoie between the Glandon and the Madeleine.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    When is the verdict released?
  • Doobz
    When is the verdict released?

I believe its meant to be by the end of the week. My guess is that Contador and his lawyers will find out first and then it will trickle out to the press depending on the verdict. If he is "let off" then I presume we will find out pretty quick.
    cartoon.jpg
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    How can the ban be back dated when he has been riding since his positive?

I hope for a 2 year ban from December 2011.

Reality it'll be a year.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    [cynic]

Whatever the result, it'll be farcical. A 2 year ban perhaps, but he gets to keep all the results since testing positive? Who knows what nonsense they'll come out with.

[/cynic]
  • Doobz
    Bertie Case possibly Delayed.. Thought this might happen. The Verdict must be a positive one if there are so many people making a fuss...

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/20 ... 99693.html
    cartoon.jpg
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Hang on, just gonna do some quick night classes in Spanish
  • Doobz
    nweststeyn wrote:
    Hang on, just gonna do some quick night classes in Spanish

Welcome to the year 2012 where google translate does that for you..
    cartoon.jpg