dsoutar
dsoutar Posts: 1,746
edited February 2012 in Pro race
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cycling/16442107.stm

Does that mean JK gets them instead ?

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    One missed test - The same as Cavendish according to Gazzetta today.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Isn't it normally 3 missed tests then a punch in the mouth?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Hmm, normally would be 3 strikes in 18months. I wonder what the second violation was (if the piece is accurate):
    The French cycling federation handed Bauge a 12-month suspension in response to one missed test in 18 months and a violation of rules governing rider availability for drug tests.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Yes, 3 missed tests in 18 months is the deal.

One can just be bad luck or something.

Don't fear though, he's good for the precious precious Olympic games coz of the funky dating.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Backdated suspensions are an utter joke if you ask me.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Priceless!

He's had the "glory" of competing and winning the world champs on the day and now that party is over the ban has been comfortably arranged to allow him to competein the Olympics.

The irony is that if it was the a similar situation for a road racer, they would probably beg to keep the rainbow jersey at the expense of a shot at the Olympics.

funny old sport innit?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,196
    Sort of lends support to Hoy's stance on the GB&NI policy. At least it stops countries giving convenient bans like this to get their medal hopes back in the team!
  • iainf72 wrote:
    eh?
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    iainf72 wrote:
    eh?

It's on the BR home page and Cycling news. Maybe the Eetalians are trying to stir up trouble....Petacchi hasn't retired yet, has he? :wink:
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    OK - stupid street question

If he has his results invalidated for 2011, how does he post a qualification event for the 2012 Olympics? Or does he have an opprtunity in the early part of this year?
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,662
    iainf72 wrote:

Bur Bauge was also found to have been fishing around with the system as well, I think that's where the years suspension has come from. Sounds like the French have been pretty strict though...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Wot? A trackie?
    Seems he's not alone.
    Looks like a well-known, up an coming French road racer
    is about to suffer the same, 3 strikes fate:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sc/news?slug=reu-dopingoffredo
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    So Bauge is being done not for the missed test but for something else? I'm confused as 1 missed test isn't really a massive deal.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    bauge is one missed tests and 2 incidents surrounding availability according to cycling news so potentially 3 incidents in total. still sounds very strict in one sense but the ban obviously suggests some sort of compromise.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Essentially it was his 3rd missed test. So even though they are advertising it as ONE missed test - 3rd strike and all that.

Due to backdating it, he can ride int he next 2 World Cups, the World Champs and the Olympics.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    surely the suspension here show's what a mockery it is having national federations look after these things. The French want him for the Olympics and so make sure he isn't banned for that.

Wonder if WADA or UCI will appeal for a longer ban
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    Pokerface wrote:
    Essentially it was his 3rd missed test. So even though they are advertising it as ONE missed test - 3rd strike and all that.

Due to backdating it, he can ride int he next 2 World Cups, the World Champs and the Olympics.

But as has already been pointed out surely the results which would gain qualification for the Olympics are all covered by the backdated ban?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

But as has already been pointed out surely the results which would gain qualification for the Olympics are all covered by the backdated ban?

The qualification is done by country rather than individual. It might still have an impact though. I bet someone somewhere will be crunching the numbers.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    The back dating is sneaky, it reminds me of the 1980s when riders would rumbled for doping mid-way in a stage race and then have the ban start only after the race ended or better still, a six month suspension imposed over the winter.

Once again a national federation offers cushy terms to their home grown champions.
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    Is it time for me to change my avatar then ?
  • Why is he riding now?

Getty
    25efb8c00e55dbe700ce3eecf8c9e47f-getty-508996479.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Cos he had a backdated ban that ended in December? ...IIRC
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    They should let Bauge off for doing the best skid of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-z0Kh0pvNM

:)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Yeah I was asking the same.

No-one in the velodrome knew he got busted. Trust the road fan to know :roll:.

Was interesting (midly) to see that Hoy congratulated everyone after any sprint ride he did apart from Bauge... Not even a recognition.
  • They should let Bauge off for doing the best skid of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-z0Kh0pvNM

:)

A few years ago, I was at a World Cup in Manchester and during the warm up one of the riders had a blow out during a practice sprint, his tub came off the rim and locked his rear wheel up. He managed half a lap before he fell off! Not sure if it counts as a skid as he was on the rim.