Fox forks service questions

Matt88
Matt88 Posts: 83
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, on the weekend doing a seal service and oil change on my fox o/b f100 forks. I went into my lbs today to pick up some float fluid and suspension oil. They didnt have any of the fox suspension oil instock but the chap instead sold me some juice lubes 10wt suspension oil. He said its basically the same stuff as the fox oil, just with a different name on it.

Is this the case or not? Will there be any ill effects from using this oil instead of the fox 10wt green suspension oil?

Also, how loud are the forks meant to be? When i compress the forks in the garage i can clearly hear the spring compressing quite loudly and if i have a large amount of rebound then i can also hear the oil moving about and that again is fairly loud to me. I cant say ive noticed it much while riding though and the performance is great so am i just being paranoid or do i have a problem? Ive heard people say their forks are silent on the forums.

Thank you for answering my newbie questions!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Mineral oil is mineral oil.

Oil moving through restricted damping circuits does make noise.

Got he rubber bands in the right place on the coil?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Matt88
    Matt88 Posts: 83
    Hi, thanks for the reply, i went out and bought the fox suspension oil after hearing it invalidates your warrenty if i use anything else.
    I'll do a lowers service soon and see if that quitens the fork. I discovered the squelchy noise though was just the rebound, if i turned rebound off it would stop.
    Also, could you elaborate on the rubber bands? I've never touched the coil so im not sure what to look for. I'll have a look at the fox guides when im home.