Sram X7 front shifter sticking

booktownman
booktownman Posts: 151
edited January 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, I'm after some advice about a sticky SRAM x7 front mech shifter. It's sticking changing down from second to first.

I've checked the mech - the problem isn't there. It will change down if I first thumb the trigger to release the ratchet (as you would do normally to change down) and then quickly press the change up trigger. When I do this, I can hear something release inside the shifter and the mech pops down no bother.

I'm not experienced in the workshop. Any ideas for a fix please?

Thanks in advance.

BTM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sticky cable?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I don't think so - the mech won't budge at all, it feels like everything is locked up within the shifter until I thumb the up-shift lever, then it suddenly releases.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the upshift lever isn't fully releasing, I had this on a SRAM shifter, I just loosened the pivot bolt that runs down through the main up shift lever and retightened it and it fixed it.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks, I'll give that a go. Do I need to get inside the casing to do that?

Cheers,

BTM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In theory you need to pop the lid off to hold the other end, (its a bit like a chainwheel bolt) in practice I didn't, I just tilted the allen Key slightly so there was enough friction to tighten it against.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Tried this, but no dice. Got inside the casing and it looks clean and tidy. Anyone got any other ideas?

Thx,

BTM
  • Clean and lube the pawl in situ - don't remove it though.