Cycle gear (jersey, jacket whatever) for 5/6 year old

springtide9
springtide9 Posts: 1,731
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
A very strange request... but my 5 year old son is desperate for a cycling top. As a clever 5 year old does, he has managed to get me to agree to buy him one
[ 'I will try' response from me has turned into a "mummy, daddy's buying me cycling clothing like his" ]

As he's only 5 yrs old, this is obviously a bit of a pain trying to find somewhere that sells clothing so small. I don't want to spend a small fortune and in many ways it doesn't really matter if it's a jersey or a jacket, as long as it looks like 'something daddy wears). I could also get away with MTB tops if that helps.

Anyone with any suggestions?
Simon

Comments

• bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Polaris make kids cycle gear e.g. the Mini Leon jersey and some very good shorts e.g. these which my son loves.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Islabikes beloved of BR forum for their bikes have a range of clothing for kids available too. Maybe not the cheapest, but worth a look...

http://www.islabikes.co.uk/apparel/s-sleeve_jersey.html
  • springtide9
    Thanks all. Big fan of Islabikes (my boy is on his third - the Beinn) - but was looking for a long sleeve top (and they only do short sleeve)

Have gone for the Polaris Alpha (kids) jersey:
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... rsey-33791
    Looks pretty nice in red (prefer to flo yellow) and picked one up for £20 delivered. Lets hope he likes it!

Almost went for a kids Motorcross top from Ebay (which he would have loved!), but it was less practical and dare I say it, the wife would have hated it!
    Simon
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Rose do a fairly good range of kids clothing in there own brandname
  • daveecp
    daveecp Posts: 15
    I have used this site for stuff for my son.

http://www.justjuniorscyclewear.co.uk/index.html
  • springtide9
    Follow up regarding the Polaris Kids' Alpha Jersey purchase. For various reasons, the jersey only arrived last week and my son wore it for the first time on Sunday.

What an excellent piece of kit for the poor weather. He usually complains about being either too hot (then takes clothing off) and then complains about being too cold, if we stop for a 'snack' or the wind picks up etc.

Seems to be reasonably windproof with a a soft fleece lining. He loved it, so much so that we popped out for a walk today and he put it back on, never complaining about being hot or cold.

Size wise, the "small" appears to be a very standard 5-6 yrs. Thanks for the recommendation for Polaris kids wear; well worth the money when you have a happy warm child - even when the weather isn't the best.

Top bit of kit and recommended to anyone with small children, and paid roughly £20 - which I thought was pretty reasonable considering.
    Simon