Query about Gore Xenon SO jacket

lucasf09
lucasf09 Posts: 160
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but seemed best suited.
I got a Gore Xenon SO jacket last month, and promptly added some crud catchers to my bike (BTW do not recommend, they are a pain to put on, and 3 weeks of tweaking still hasn't made them quiet for more than a mile!!!). However, on an icy morning I came off and the mudguards decided to snap (another reason for poor recommendation), so now only have a back mudguard.
Now my jacket is taking the brunt of filthy roads, and I am afraid to use any kind of stain remover on the jacket to help alleviate the problem. I know that first solution would be to get new guards, but not sure what to use as the cruds were supposed to be the best thing out there, but does anyone who has the jacket know if I can use Vanish or other stain removers, without ruining the jacket?

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    You sure you fitted them right? They have very close clearances so could also depend on your tyres as to whether they're suitable - they work great for me though... Not sure I'd recommend anything else assuming you don't have mounts for normal guards, SKS race blades are much worse IME.
    As for the jacket, I have one but haven't actually worn it yet so can't offer any advice other than I'd just email Gore and ask their advice, they're supposed to be pretty good at getting back to you.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Do not use Vanish or any detergents. Use a soap solution or better still Nikwax Techwash. Also use Nikwax TX.Direct periodically to re-vitalise the water repellent coating.
    I assume you were using Crud Roadracers not Crud Guards which are MTB kit. The only problem I have had with Roadracers is that they clog with mud under certain conditions. Very good when just wet though. They are by far the best for bikes that will not take proper guards.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a couple of Castelli jackets with white panels made from Gore fabrics - the Espresso is 3 years old, just gets chucked in a 30 degrees wash with the Persil Bio and comes out gleaming every time. My new Radiation jacket has white panels too and has got absolutely filthy a few times this last week and comes out gleaming. For really manky stuff, I just rub in some neat detergent on the stains before chucking in the machine. Rest assured, if you'd bought Assos it would come out sludge grey...
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • springtide9
    springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I have a couple of Castelli jackets with white panels made from Gore fabrics - the Espresso is 3 years old, just gets chucked in a 30 degrees wash with the Persil Bio and comes out gleaming every time. My new Radiation jacket has white panels too and has got absolutely filthy a few times this last week and comes out gleaming. For really manky stuff, I just rub in some neat detergent on the stains before chucking in the machine. Rest assured, if you'd bought Assos it would come out sludge grey...

+1

My Gore softshell (and a cheaper Rogelli) gets used on and off the road and get pretty filthy. I chuck them in on a 40 deg C wash (or sometimes 50 deg C if I think it's very dirty) with the regular Bio power/gel. I think most of this kit is made of man-made fabric, so is pretty durable. Generally just make sure the product doesn't have any cotton or wool blends.
    Simon
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Detergents will indeed get Gortex jackets clean. The problem is that detergent is difficult to rinse out thoroughly. Any left in the Goretex membrane will transport water straight through it. It also clogs the pores making breath-ability worse. Soap based cleaners are much easier to rinse out and get nylon based items just as clean. If mine are just muddy they just get a wash in the shower at the same time as me.