cleaning carbon bike

kierhanlon6
kierhanlon6 Posts: 158
edited January 2012 in Workshop
hello went out on a ride the other day and it started to rain got mud all over the bike so came back and just washed it off with water. what shall i do about any water that could of got down the seat tube shall i take it out and turn bike up side down to let drain out and grease the seat post. and what grease is good for cables? cheers

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Don't worry about it. It's soot and glue, it ain't gonna rust.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    DesWeller wrote:
    soot and glue
    :lol:
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Clean it the same as a normal bike, use carbon past on the seat post - available from any of the usual suspects.

Don't grease cables as they will gunk up - clean, dry, light oil, maybe a bit of penetrating spray if you feel the need.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If your bike doesn't have a drain hole in the BB shell it might be worth taking the seatpost out after a hosing session and tipping it up to see if any water's in there as it will reduce the BB life. I've had this issue on one of my MTBs but not seen it on a road bike.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    nferrar wrote:
    If your bike doesn't have a drain hole in the BB shell it might be worth taking the seatpost out after a hosing session and tipping it up to see if any water's in there as it will reduce the BB life. I've had this issue on one of my MTBs but not seen it on a road bike.
    Once the water is in it is almost impossible to remove it by up-ending the bike as it can go down any of the tubes. Better to remove the screw that holds the cable guide under the BB and let it drain from there. The guide will stay in place if you don't move the cables.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    When I've had small scratches on my mtb (alloy frame) I've polished them out with car polish. Is it ok to do this with a carbon frame, especially where you can see the weave where it has just been clear lacquered?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    polish with Autoglym Super resin - looks stunning and throws off future road crap
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    andy46 wrote:
    When I've had small scratches on my mtb (alloy frame) I've polished them out with car polish. Is it ok to do this with a carbon frame, especially where you can see the weave where it has just been clear lacquered?

Seriously? Dude, no offence but its a bicycle frame, not a Picasso. Carbon is just a material: you can polish it, wash it, lick it: you can even ride it in the rain if you want and it won't explode into a million pieces. They use it to make aeroplanes that drop bombs on people and fly at a squillion miles an hour and make loads of noise when you are trying to sleep.

Yes you can use polish/T-Cut on a carbon frame - you're only polishing the lacquer on top of the weave.

Essentially common sense prevails: polish, wash away, don't get the angle gridner. MIG and kango out on it.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    John.T wrote:
    Once the water is in it is almost impossible to remove it by up-ending the bike as it can go down any of the tubes. Better to remove the screw that holds the cable guide under the BB and let it drain from there. The guide will stay in place if you don't move the cables.

Comes out of mine fine (from an up-ended seat tube). If you're going to the faff of removing the cable guide you may as well drill your own drain hole in it.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    ILM Zero7 wrote:
    polish with Autoglym Super resin - looks stunning and throws off future road crap

I cleaned up a Colnago I had sold with this, was absolutely gutted as it came up like factory new heh heh. Fantastic stuff.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach