garmin edge 800

pbamf
pbamf Posts: 69
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I'm thinking about getting an edge 800, should I, and also is it worth getting any of the bundles available. I don,t think I need the performance bundle as I don't want to know when I am about to have a heart attack (i'm 48) and dont really care how fast i'm peddaling. Just want it as a satnav really so is it worth getting a map bundle or just download some free ones off the net.

Comments

• tubbs_214
    tubbs_214 Posts: 185
    ive been thinking the same thing latly some others to look at are the bryton rider 50 and the garmin edge 705 i dont know anything about these so would be good to see if anybody else has any thoughts on these 2
  • I've had my garmin 800 for nearly 6 months and I love it. I do however have the performance bundle as I like to see where I was pushing and where I could of given more, crossed with the navigation it's awesome. If you are only looking at it for the sat nav side of things it may be an expensive option. I can't give any advice on the alternatives as I don't know anyone with anything but a garmin.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got a performance bundle with OS mapping and think it's great.

If you only want the Satnav, then buy the basic unit and then download a mapping add on. I seem to remember that there's a good one called Velomaps, which is easily found on Google.

If you only want it as a Satnav though, and aren't interested in all of the other features of the Edge 800, you'd be better going for a basic, GPS mapping unit.

Treat yourself though, go for a performance bundle, you won't reget it :wink:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    MattC59 wrote:

You may regret it, my Edge 500 was a lot more reliable. My Edge 800 has been a right pain, slow, unresponsive screen, random lock-ups, losing the GPS signal when I go under a couple of leaf-free branches, speeds of over 60mph (when going about 12), recording rides where I seemingly go on random off road escapades whilst on the road.

Hoping that a hard-reset to factory default settings and re-installing the maps will sort otherwise I'm sending the little bugger back.
  • pbamf wrote:
    I'm thinking about getting an edge 800, should I, and also is it worth getting any of the bundles available. I don,t think I need the performance bundle as I don't want to know when I am about to have a heart attack (i'm 48) and dont really care how fast i'm peddaling. Just want it as a satnav really so is it worth getting a map bundle or just download some free ones off the net.

I got one this summer, and very happy about it. Was planning to use the GPS functionality and map out rides on roads that I do not know so well, but I haven't gotten around to that yet...

Should really try and use all the functionality as currently I might as well have bought a cheaper unit..

No issues with functionality or reliability though.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    edited January 2012
    Here is an indepth review of the Garmin Edge 800:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/08/garm ... -look.html
    You will see there are links to other Garmin models.

I have just bought the much cheaper Edge 200 which is fine for me. It maps out where you have been and gives you most of the usual bike computer stats, but can't be used as a Sat Nav.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    lemoncurd wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

You may regret it, my Edge 500 was a lot more reliable. My Edge 800 has been a right pain, slow, unresponsive screen, random lock-ups, losing the GPS signal when I go under a couple of leaf-free branches, speeds of over 60mph (when going about 12), recording rides where I seemingly go on random off road escapades whilst on the road.

Hoping that a hard-reset to factory default settings and re-installing the maps will sort otherwise I'm sending the little bugger back.

That's sh*t mate, I've had no issues at all with mine, it's been great.
    In all honesty though, if I was buying again, I'd go for the 500 as I've not used the mapping a great deal. Having said that, I've mapped out a couple of 50milers for when I'm back on the bike, and uploaded them to the 800, so I'm looking forward to trying out the nav functions.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59 wrote:
    lemoncurd wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

In all honesty though, if I was buying again, I'd go for the 500 as I've not used the mapping a great deal. Having said that, I've mapped out a couple of 50milers for when I'm back on the bike, and uploaded them to the 800, so I'm looking forward to trying out the nav functions.

+1.

Mines worked faultlessly (touch wood) and it's been through a few hefty rainstorms as well
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    MattC59 wrote:
    lemoncurd wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

+1.

Mines worked faultlessly (touch wood) and it's been through a few hefty rainstorms as well

When it does work it's brilliant, using turn-by-turn navigation is fantastic. I started having problems with it a few months ago, the screen just locked up whilst displaying the map as I was pootling along a rainy lane. It's never been the same since. A few days ago, after converting a route to a course using Garmin Connect I set out to do the same route, didn't select it as a course but I kept getting "found course", "off course" messages with accompanying annoying beeps. If it wasn't so expensive I would have tested its impact resistance with my cleats.