How do you secure your bikes in the house?

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
I was just wondering how I could make my bikes harder to steal when at home. Both my bikes are out of sight of windows (as blinds are shut in that room when I'm out) they are kept by the back door in the dinning room which is a small extension on the side of the house.

I park them side by side, so I was thinking of getting a 7ft kryptonite cable and D lock as it would be extremely hard or even impossible to get two bikes through the door side by side.

Anybody got any tips, or would like to share what they do?

Thanks.
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• Statistically, 98% of houses with alarms don't get broken into.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I take the view that if they're going to get into my garage, which has a steel door and has a double deadlock with 5 hardened steel 'pins', then they'll be able to get whatever they want.

Just make sure doors and windows are locked, alarm is on if you have one, and that your insurance is up to date.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • ElLawro
    ElLawro Posts: 59
    Seriously?
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    ElLawro wrote:
    Seriously?

Yes, hence the question.

Thank you to the others for the more constructive comments.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I take the view that if they're going to get into my garage, which has a steel door and has a double deadlock with 5 hardened steel 'pins', then they'll be able to get whatever they want.

Just make sure doors and windows are locked, alarm is on if you have one, and that your insurance is up to date.
    not dissimilar - locked garage door, with serious hasp and staple padlock, then wall anchors and gold standard bike lock once inside. My precious items are at a a level where if someone is that committed to taking them, you dont want to be around at the time
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • Hi
    I currently keep 3 bikes in the house. Like you I keep them out of sight etc. I also figure that making it awkward to steal them is a good thing, so I lock all three together with a u lock. Will be pretty hard getting all three out the door in one go and having to cut or break the lock will add to the time they spend with the alarm going off.

One downside is that it means the bikes are that bit harder for me to use. Ease of use is one of the reasons they are in the house to begin with so it is a bit of a pain... but many years ago I had friends that had all sorts of issues with insurance following having multiple break ins to a garage to steal high end mountain bikes. So I tend to be over cautious about this sort of thing.

Andy
  • Place some small, easily portable, highly valuable items near your bikes. I'm sure a thief will take these first.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    chain them to your mrs legs, if it gets taken you get rid of one and can claim off house insurance for the bikes :D