Frame for racing (cheaper the better)

okgo
okgo Posts: 4,368
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
I've had a little accident with my carbon frame today so I'd like to know what folk think are good frames for racing that don't cost the earth, as it being Jan, I'm skint.

I'm half tempted to try that blue ribble with the flat top tube at £100, but I would like to know about any stiff strong frames out there for not to much cash are decent for racing on. I've thought Caad9 but would love to hear some more suggestions...

Thanks!
Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    That ribble sounds fine!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Chinese carbon frames from ebay????
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • okgo
    The price of the carbon chinese ones are so close to that of the Ribbles and Planet x 's that I think if I were to go that route I'd go there.

Were you being serious Nap?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • simon t
    simon t Posts: 132
    caad 9
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    Planet x team alu? twice the price of the ribble although might include forks.

Edit: £199 without forks, £279 with.
  • okgo wrote:
    I've had a little accident with my carbon frame today

Ah, thought it was you that went down hard. Hope you're not too bruised. What happened? I was there watching the missus do her first race but their finish was rather scuppered by the field being split picking their way through the debris.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • KateF
    KateF Posts: 86
    okgo wrote:
    I've had a little accident with my carbon frame today so I'd like to know what folk think are good frames for racing that don't cost the earth, as it being Jan, I'm skint.

I'm half tempted to try that blue ribble with the flat top tube at £100, but I would like to know about any stiff strong frames out there for not to much cash are decent for racing on. I've thought Caad9 but would love to hear some more suggestions...

Thanks!

Ah, so you were in the 3rd cat crash today, what happened there? - couldn't quite see from where I was riding (with the girls race) Bad luck on the crash, saw you looking at the frame afterwards, hope you find something soon.
    Winter bike - Verenti Kilmeston
    Fair weather bike - Ribble Stealth
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I was being serious. It'd be fine.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • okgo
    Yep that was me. I was going well till then, even got away with another guy for a few laps.

Keyzer, I've written more in my blog about it, www.firstseasoncycling.blogspot.com , but in short I've no idea what happened. A bit annoyed at the frame but I'll get an alu stiff as sin bike to do Hillingdon with ;) as long as it can take the sprint without flex it's fine, that's my only weapon.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Sorry to hear about it. You seemed to be going quite well in the race. There's a similar frame to the one you broke on the classifieds - viewtopic.php?f=40049&t=12828990
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • okgo
    Yeh, felt ok. In hindsight trying to break with one rider half way in was silly, but it was fun :D

I've bought a frame to see my right for now, till I have the cash to get something nice. But there's a strong argument for keeping a nice bike for the roadraces where the chances of crashing are greatly reduced.

A hillingdon bike doesn't even really need two chain rings I don't think, the Raleigh Avanti frame I've bought looks good, we will see how stiff it is, if not there is a possible Cinelli Xperirence for sale, and I've heard they're as stiff as they come, if not a little weighty.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    I rented a Cinelli eXperience for the day on holiday a couple of weeks back. The new version of the frame (I believe they changed it at the end of 2010) is great, a little heavy as you say but very stiff (enough that I didn't notice the flex even though it had Fulcrum 7's on it). Full carbon forks would shave 200g off the F&F weight.

Hope you're fit enough to be back at hillingdon soon.
  • okgo
    I'll have to find out what year the frame is. I've got a few full carbon forks knocking about but would they fit with another frame? Would it not mess the geo up?

I hope to be back racing this saturday, lets just hope I don't fall off on the existing roadrash haha!