Going bigger on an 07 Trance 3

davenewcastle1973
davenewcastle1973 Posts: 146
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I've recently acquired a Trance 3 (07) and would like to increase the travel on the rear suspension. I read a few posts on here about increasing the front from the 100mm recons which were on the bike - I have done this with a revelation u-turn so I have 130mm for the downs and 100 for the ups which is working perfectly.

To even this out I would like to increase the 105mm on the back - currently there is a Float R on the rear. There is no pro-pedal or lock out on this so I was thinking of changing up on both spec of shock and size.

Long-winded way of asking the question - can I increase the travel with the current set up?

I cant seem to find the answer to this anywhere - Giant are, understandably, saying that any change to the original spec is a bad idea.

Can anyone help with this please? Either with the answer or where I can go to look for the answer.

Cheers
Ragley mmmBop
Yeti 575

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because of the linkages changing the rear isn't as simple and the front.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • That was my concern - is it possible though or should I just upgrade the shock with another of the same travel?
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • cooldad
    What's wrong with the Float R?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • It feels slack when I peddle up hill, it might need serviced, I might be imagining things, or the new shiny stuff fairy might have bitten me hard! I was under the impression that something with pro pedal type function would make life a bit easier....
    Ragley mmmBop
    Yeti 575
  • cooldad
    Might feel slack at the back because you raised the front, which will shift your weight back, especially up hills.
    TBH I only use propedal when I ride bits of road on the way to rides, when I remember. Also riding a 100mm FS.
    Up hills I find it easier with the PP off, seems to climb rough stuff better with some bounce.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools