Replacement Sidi Threads ?

Skerryman
Skerryman Posts: 323
edited January 2012 in Road beginners
Need some advice from Sidi wearers. Got my shiney new pair of Sidi Genius 5's off Santa and have been fiddling around on the trainer trying to get the cleat position right. I unscrewed to reposition the cleat and now one of the screws won't go back in. I had trouble getting the same screw into the same hole from day one so I reckon there was something up with it. Was extra careful not to cross thread it but it seems there was no avoiding it in the end. All other screws go in and out no problem but this little fecker seemed determined to act the maggot from day one. I know have only two functional screws on that shoe. Does anyone know if this would be covered by where I got the shoes from (Merlin), or Sidi, or none of the above. If none of the above, where do I get replacement threads and does this mean the entire plate needs to be replaced.Pretty bummed about the whole thing, haven't even had a chance to use them on the road yet.

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Depends on the construction of the shoe, but these days most thread inserts are moulded and so replacement may be tricky. You may be able to get to the topside of the insert by removing/cutting away part of the midsole and then running a screw or tap from above to realign the thead. Other option include getting a smaller Helicoil fitted and using a slightly smaller screw?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    As they are brand new I'd stop doing anything more to them and contac Merlin advising that there is an issue with 1 of the threads.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    andyrr wrote:
    As they are brand new I'd stop doing anything more to them and contac Merlin advising that there is an issue with 1 of the threads.

That's exactly what i'd do.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I don't think the OP has much chance from a warranty POV - borked threads are 99% operator error
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Skerryman
    Skerryman Posts: 323
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I don't think the OP has much chance from a warranty POV - borked threads are 99% operator error

I had trouble with that thread from the beginning, screw didn't want to go in. Tried several screws in the same position. Never forced it, and have loosened it several times to adjust cleat but never took it out fully. Just wouldn't tighten last time I adjusted cleat. Emailed Merlin so hoping to hear back from them int he next few days.