Effects of changing the axle to crown length

tom_howard
tom_howard Posts: 789
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Just wondering if there was a formula for working out the change in HA if I mess with the a2c of the forks? Current HA is 66.5 with a 545mm fork. Was just wondering what + or - an inch or so would make?
Santa Cruz 5010C
Deviate Guide
Specialized Sequoia Elite
Pivot Mach 429SL
Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
Salsa Mukluk Carbon
Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    About a degree.

With a fully there is often no change.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Ah right, had done a bit of reading on other sites and they made it seem like the slightest change (fs or ht) could ruin a frames handling!

Cheers nick (again!)
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • sheepsteeth
    sheepsteeth Posts: 17,418
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Ah right, had done a bit of reading on other sites and they made it seem like the slightest change (fs or ht) could ruin a frames handling!

Cheers nick (again!)

a small change can make the bike feel very different.

i couldnt get on a bike and say "hmm, this feels like a 70 deg HA" or "this feels like a 69 deg HA" but i notice quite easily when my head angle has changed, i would say a degree is a massive amount in my experience.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Tom Howard wrote:
    Ah right, had done a bit of reading on other sites and they made it seem like the slightest change (fs or ht) could ruin a frames handling!

Cheers nick (again!)
    It can. 1degree can be felt.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown